Herald-Journal Winsted-Lester Prairie Journal, June 15, 1998

'Trouble' lives up to his name


We raise horses on our farm. These horses are for riding, and they also run in races. They don't always win, but we love them all.

We also have quite a few baby horses, or colts. One of our colts is named Trouble, because he is always into some kind of mischief.

My dad tells me that he has two troubles, one is a horse and the other is me. I like to play with Trouble, the colt, and we have been known to get into all kinds of trouble together. One time it was big trouble.

We have a huge tank of water that the horses drink from. One day, my dad told me to fill the tank. As I was doing this, Trouble came up from behind me and bumped me right into the tank.

The water was very cold and I had to find a way to get out. I grabbed a hold of Trouble's halter and tried to climb out of the tank.

Trouble jerked his head away, and as he reared up, I fell back down into the tank. When I stood up, I saw that the colt had fallen into the water with me.

Trouble was very scared. He jumped and jumped in the water, trying to get out of the tank. I was scared, too, that the colt would jump on me. I started to yell for help and the more I yelled, the crazier Trouble got.

My mother came running. "What are you doing in there?" she cried. She went and got a rope for me to grab on to and pulled me out of the tank. But the colt was too heavy for her to pull out by herself.

"How long has the colt been in the water?" she asked worriedly. "I have to go call your father. The colt will die if he stays in the cold water too long."

Dad came right away and he called the veterinarian. The vet gave the horse a shot to calm him and some of the neighbors helped dad and the vet pull Trouble out of the tank. They took him to the barn and wiped him dry. Then the vet gave him another shot.

Everyone was very worried about the little horse. It seemed that no one even noticed, for awhile, that I was also cold and wet.

Finally, my mother told me to go in the house and get into some warm, dry clothes. She also told me to pray that the little horse didn't die.

The next morning, my dad told me that Trouble would be all right.

I caught a bad cold from the experience. When I heard my dad ask my mother if she thought I might need a shot for my cold. I convinced him that I suddenly felt much better.

But I don't play with Trouble anymore. He is too big. Now I play with my dog instead because it is much safer.

Back to Grandma Menu | Back to Columns Menu

Howard Lake Herald & Winsted-Lester Prairie Journal
Stories | Columns | Classifieds | Obituaries
Community Guides | Special Topics | Cool Stuff | SEARCH | Home Page