Herald JournalHoward Lake-Waverly Herald, Dec. 16, 2002

Construction on the horizon for Montrose's Buffalo Ave.

By Lynda Jensen

Buffalo Avenue, which criss crosses Highway 12 at the Montrose stoplight, is the target for major utility upgrades in the spring.

The road construction will be done over a two-mile stretch along the road, starting one block south of the intersection, running north to past 55th Street.

The work should not touch Highway 12, since this work was done a few years ago, said Del Haag of the public works department.

Rather, crews plan to burrow under Highway 12 to hook up utilities, Haag said.

The new utilities will flow southward instead of northward after the construction, which will route the sewer toward the new wastewater treatment plant, south of town, Haag said.

"It's going to be torn up ­ especially outside the city building," commented City Engineer Brad DeWolf of Bolton & Menk.

"That's quite a detour," commented Fire Chief Mike Marketon. Haag estimated that residents might end up driving two miles out of their way.

Hopefully, the work will be done in segments, allowing people to use the few available side roads there are, Haag commented.

To this end, the Montrose City Council approved a standard agreement with Wright County, since the road is Wright County Road 12 starting north of Highway 12.

Some expenses will be shared.

The county will pay for 70 percent of surfacing paved shoulders with the city paying 30 percent. The county will also pay for 55 percent of the storm sewer, with the city paying for the remaining 45 percent.

The city will pay for all costs associated with curb and gutter, retaining walls, right of way (permanent or temporary), permanent street lighting, and utility work.

The county will pay for grading, including turf establishment, surfacing travel lanes, surfacing paved shoulders, signing, and striping.

The city is required to obtain any additional right-of-way needed.

In a related matter, the council certified its 2003 levy at $266,529, which increased by 18 percent compared to last year's levy, mainly because of the costs for the Buffalo Avenue improvements.

Construction of plant going well, on time

Construction of the new joint wastewater treatment facility is going very well, reported Del Haag of the Montrose Public Works Department.

Crews have been working for two months on the project so far, which will serve Waverly and Montrose when it is finished.

The plant will probably be done by late summer if the weather continues to cooperate, Haag said.

"Both contractors have done a nice job," commented city engineer Brad DeWolf of Bolton & Menk. The two contractors are Latour Construction and ABE Construction.

The site is located about one mile south of Montrose along Highway 25.

The facility will be four times larger than before, Haag said, in order to serve both cities and anticipated growth for 20 years ­ although growth is the wild card for how long the facility will last before the communities outgrow it, Haag said.

The plant features state-of-the-art UV light instead of chlorine to destroy harmful organisms.

This is better for the environment since it means fewer chemicals, Haag said.

The city is using three existing settlement ponds, two of which are six acres and one four-acre pond.

There are two new "high intensity" aeration ponds that are being built new.

Also being constructed new are a biosolid storage tank, two control buildings, and two clarifiers, Haag said.
Antique store OK'd

The council approved the establishment of an antique store, operated by Andrew and Mary Trelstad at their property located at 230 Buffalo Avenue.

The site was recently zoned from residential to residential business, the latter of which will allow an antique store by use of a conditional use permit.

The permit was approved with several conditions, including:

· hard surface for the driveway and are south of shed by July 4, 2004

· expansion of off-street parking to provide nine stalls as required by ordinance,

· business hours as follows: Thurs. and Fri. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sun. noon to 5 p.m.

· a screen fence should be extended from the garage at 240 Buffalo Ave. South to the rear lot line.

· outdoor sales and displays are allowed on weekends in the front yard. This is an amended requirement, since outdoor sales are usually prohibited. However, the Trelstads objected to this requirement.

· trash area to be screened.

The planning and zoning commission spent considerable time on the subject, noted Mayor Charlie Nelson.


Back to Current Stories Menu | Back to Archives List

Howard Lake-Waverly Herald & Winsted-Lester Prairie Journal
Stories | Columns | Obituaries | Classifieds
Guides | Sitemap | Search | Home Page