Herald Journal, Aug. 2, 2004
Winsted Summer Festival this weekend
By Ryan Gueningsman
Many people don’t know that in 1976, as part of a “Good Old Days” celebration, a canoe race took place on Winsted Lake.
In 2002, Mike Mahoney of Winsted organized a canoe race that was to take place each year on Winsted Lake in conjunction with the Winsted Summer Festival in August. This year, the winners from the 1976 race will be competing in the dash across the lake.
Patti Krohn of Howard Lake, and her sister Gail, were the women’s winners of the 1976 canoe race. They contacted Mahoney about participating in this year’s event, and have been added to the list of participants, along with several teams of royalty candidates.
The “Paddle S’more in 2004” canoe race will take place at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 6 at Mill Reserve Park at 6 p.m.
The annual Winsted Area Chamber of Commerce sponsored Bratbuster event will also take place Friday, Aug. 6, beginning at 4 p.m.
Original Bratbuster Tom Ollig said that attempts were made to bring all of the original Bratbusters, Ollig, Floyd Sneer, Gary Lenz, and Dave Sherman back for a special reunion in 2004. However, due to several Bratbusters working on their solo grilling careers, a full reunion will not happen this year.
Sherman is on a solo grilling tour of the southern part of the United States, and will not be arriving back in Winsted until Saturday, Aug. 9.
He said via phone from Arizona that, “As far as I know, Floyd, Gary, and Tom are planning on being there.”
Lenz will also be out of town, but is hoping to get back into Winsted by 6 p.m. Friday evening to do some grilling with his buddies Ollig and Sneer. This will be the first time that any of the Bratbusters have officially grilled together since their surprise retirement announcement in July 1998.
“The Bratbusters are planning a grand entrance and reunion in 2005,” Ollig said, “providing we’re all still alive.”
Also taking place this weekend are a variety of other activities, with something for everyone. One thing to note is that Sunday’s parade route has changed slightly.
Instead of proceeding on Main Street in front of Bryan’s Service and V’s Grill, it will proceed west a block north, and go by TDS TELECOM and the Pantry Cafe.
Saturday, Aug. 7
• Co-ed volleyball at Hainlin Park
Register with Sue DeMars (320) 395-2875
• Horseshoes at Hainlin Park
Register with Mike Thonvold (320) 485-4248
• 11 a.m. Children’s parade and clown show at Hainlin Park (The children’s parade has been moved this year off of Main Street. The new route is as follows: Start in the north end of the Blue Note parking lot, head north on Third Street and turn left (west) onto McLeod Avenue and into Hainlin Park.
Registration begins at 10:30 a.m. in the north end of the Blue Note parking lot. Awards will be handed out in Hanlin Park under the shelter. Top prize is a $100 savings bond.
• 11 a.m. Fireman waterball at Hainlin Park
• 3 p.m. Children’s tractor pull at Hainlin Park
• 5 p.m. Children’s games next to Legion
• 5 p.m. NTPA + Street Truck, Tractor & Semi Pull at Industrial Park
• 8 p.m. Music by Shaw Brothers, behind Legion
• 9:45 p.m. Fireworks over Winsted Lake
Sunday, Aug. 8
• 7 a.m. Fireman breakfast at Firehall
• 1 p.m. Parade with a special appearance by Miss Minnesota Tiffany Ogle of Waverly. Winsted Police have also asked that no one drive or park on the parade route after noon.
• 1 p.m. Car Show
• 2 p.m. Children games next to Legion
• 3:30 p.m. Royalty coronation at Mill Reserve Park
• 2:30 p.m. Music by Double D’s, behind Legion
• 6:30 p.m. Music by Cowboys in Sneakers behind Legion