The call to partnership
Rev. Steve Thorson, Evangelical Lutheran Chuch, Cokato
A good Bible word is “koinonia,” which I translate to mean “partnership.”
Our Lord calls us to be partners with him and with one another (1 Corinthians 1:9 and several dozen times throughout the New Testament).
Here are some ways that we can respond to that call:
• Through daily prayer and weekly worship, including frequent participation in the Lord’s Supper (Acts 2:42; 1 Corinthians 10:16).
• Through small group Bible study. Through the written word of God, we grow closer to the living word of God, Jesus Christ. As we gather with others around God’s Word, we claim the promise of Jesus to be with us (Matthew 18:20).
• Through providing sermon “topic suggestions” to your pastor. Many pastors appreciate the input. But consider it a “suggestion.” Remember that there are many things to consider in choosing such topics things that we’re not all aware of.
• Though welcoming and befriending people who come through the doors of your church, or who cannot come. It’s truly an honor to reach out with love in these ways.
• Through your continued generous tithes and offerings.
As it says in 1 Corinthians 3:9: “We work together as partners who belong to God.”
That is the only partnership that will last forever.