HJ-ED-DHJHerald Journal Columns
March 5, 2007

I like snow, just not this week

By Aaron Schultz

I’m a big fan of snow, and snowstorms, in particular.

As a kid, and through my high school and college days, I was always excited when we got a snowstorm and school would get cancelled.

Those were some of my favorite days growing up.

Now-a-days, I still enjoy a good old snowstorm, even though I don’t get to miss work like I got to miss school.

However, if there ever was a worse time for a snowstorm than this past week, I couldn’t think of one.

Tournament time always seems to be one of Mother Nature’s favorite times of year to dump a large quantity of snow on us.

Well, that was the case again this past week/weekend.

The snow started Wednesday night, and by the time I woke up Thursday morning we already had plenty of the white stuff dumped on us.

Normally, I would have been excited to get all this snow, but that definitely wasn’t the case Thursday morning.

See, I had planned on heading down to the state wrestling tournament around noon in order to get to the Xcel Energy Center by 2 p.m. to watch Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted seniors’ Clark Ostvig and Shane Khan compete in the tourney.

Instead, I headed out around 8:30 a.m. with Delano Herald Journal Sports Editor Matt Kane.

By doing so, I saved myself the trouble of driving and, instead, was able to ride with Matt, who has a four-wheel drive vehicle.

The drive to St. Paul wasn’t that bad, but it wasn’t that good, either.

Once down there, I caught most of the Class 2A opening round of wresting, which started at 10 a.m.

Every year that I make it down to the state wrestling tournament it brings back tons of memories for me.

It is, hands down, my favorite high school state tournament to attend, just nudging out baseball.

Anyways, once the Class 2A opening round was completed, it was just after noon, and I had just under two hours to kill before Khan and Ostvig would take to the mat.

So, Matt, Dassel-Cokato sports writter Jesse Menden, and I headed to Cossetta’s, a little pizza place about a block down from the Xcel for lunch.

Cossetta’s has the best pizza ever, and for under five bucks you get a huge slice and a can of pop – a great deal.

On our way to Cossetta’s, I did a very foolish thing.

Seeing the stoplight turn from don’t walk to walk ahead of us, I decided to start running to the intersection, thinking I could only make the light if I busted my butt to it.

Yep, with the snow coming down pretty good now, and the sidewalk more than a little icy, I started running.

In case you don’t know, I was never that quick of foot, or light on my feet, even back in the day.

Well, then it happened, I slipped, and right to my knee I went.

To my credit (I think), I didn’t fall completely on my face or backside, just hit my right knee on the curb pretty hard.

So, if banging up my knee wasn’t bad enough, I hit a puddle of slush, which sprayed up on my coat, hat, and face.

Not one to get discouraged quickly, I jumped up, wiped myself off, and jogged across the street, which is when I finally felt the pain in the my knee.

After a few laughs from my fellow sport’s guys, we headed into Cossetta’s and had lunch.

Once we were done eating, and killing some time, we headed back into the Xcel, where I watched Khan loose a tough overtime match, and Ostvig win his opening round match.

That is when Matt and I headed back outside, and to the jeep to make our way home.

The time was 3:50 p.m. when we left parking ramp, and the snow was really coming down now.

The drive back was a nightmare. Other than stopping for a quick bite to eat, we headed directly home, and didn’t reach it until 7:30 p.m.

Yep, nearly three hours, without the stop, to make it back home. It was miserable.

While I’ll will always be a big fan of snowstorms, let’s just not have any more when I have to head to St. Paul.

Is that a deal Mother Nature?