Extreme Makeover Home Edition featuring Minnesota family to air Sunday

November 19, 2007

By Ryan Gueningsman
Managing Editor

Five Delano residents, including two photographers, a sprinkler fitter (someone who installs fire protection units), a public relations/graphic design artist, and a drywall sander, all donated time at the end of August at the site of a new home construction for a Minnetonka family, brought together by a tragedy.

The homebuilding process will be featured on the hit ABC television show “Extreme Makeover Home Edition” in a two-hour 100th episode special Sunday, Nov. 25 at 6 p.m.

The episode will feature the Swenson-Lee family of Minnetonka, who went from a family of three to a family of nine following the homicide death of Vicki Swenson’s sister. Then, another addition took place with the birth of Vicki’s baby.

Vicki also coached the Hopkins volleyball team to the state tournament this fall.

Joe McDonald of McDonald’s Photography Studio of Delano, along with his father, KJ McDonald of Watertown, and Linda Motzko of Linda’s Photography of Delano, and her daughter, Megan, all volunteered their time to shoot this special event.

“We can’t wait to see it,” Linda Motzko said about the upcoming air date. “Being it’s their 100th episode, they did some extra special things for this show.”

Kari Palmer, who has lived in Delano for just over two years, has had TJB Builders of Blaine, the homebuilder, as a client of her graphic design company, Image is Everything, and was enlisted by TJB to help with public relations coordination for the makeover event.

Delano resident Craig Bistodeau, who is a professional sprinkler fitter, said there was a contractor that typically works with TJB Homes, but that the crew wasn’t big enough to do the installations in the time frame needed.

Dan Odenthal, who is a local sub contractor and owns his own drywall sanding business, had done some work with Universal Spray and Drywall in the past, and was enlisted to help with the project.

“It was crazy,” Odenthal said. “Every room I went into, there were at least four to five others working, so it was hectic, but fun.”