Feb. 12, 2007

HLWW senior injured in snowmobile accident

Neurosurgeons hope that he will make a full, but slow, recovery

By Lynda Jensen

The homecoming king for Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted was involved in a snowmobile accident during the early morning hours of Feb. 4.

Senior Frank Doering, 17, went for a ride alone on a 1996 Polaris Indy 500 snowmobile at 2:30 a.m. on his family’s property south of Waverly, according to the accident report from Wright County Sheriff’s Department.

He crashed into a small grove of trees at the end of a field on the family’s property, according to the report. Alcohol was not a factor in the accident, according to Lt. Dan Anselment of the Wright County Sheriff’s Office.

Doering’s parents are Dale and Jill Doering, who live in Woodland Township. Dale Doering brought his son back to the house after finding him.

He was not wearing a helmet, according to the sheriff’s department.

Waverly Fire Department and Rescue responded to the scene.

Doering was transferred by Ridgeview Ambulance to Waconia. Eventually, he was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center.

He responds to treatment, but has his ups and downs

For an accident that took place during severely cold weather conditions, Doering is doing relatively well.

It was reported that he opened his eyes and wiggled his toes Feb. 6, according to a web journal set up in his name at www.caringbridge.org/visit/frankdoering.

Since that time, he has struggled with swelling in the brain, with some good days and some bad days. For the time being, only family and close friends are permitted visitation.

“We were informed by the neurosurgeons to be cautiously optimistic of a full, but slow, recovery,” the web site reported.

The following was written by Laurie Lideen of Howard Lake and posted on the web site, which also contains personal photos of Doering:

Hello everyone,

Frank had a snowmobile accident this last Saturday night at his home, on the family trail. He is in ICU (intensive care) at HCMC in Minneapolis.

He is being kept asleep with medication so that he can rest and heal comfortably. He has a head injury, which can be complicated to treat and manage in the first three to four days, because the swelling inside of the head continues to change.

Hospital staff say the next 72 hours or so will tell us much more on Frank’s outcome. They say he is a strong kid and a fighter.

We ask that you please continue praying for Frank to heal well, and for strength for Dale, Jill, Joe, Sarah and Patsy as they stand by Frank.

Please share thoughts and prayers on this site (www.caringbridge.org/visit/frankdoering).

Laurie Lideen

Back to Current Stories Menu | Back to Archives List
Herald Journal
Stories | Columns | Obituaries | Classifieds
Guides | Sitemap | Search | Dassel-Cokato Home | Delano Home | HJ Home