HJ-ED-DHJ

Jan. 8, 2007

Franklin Township agrees to share costs of possible railroad arm at intersection

By Ryan Gueningsman
Managing Editor

Franklin Township Board agreed to pay a share toward the costs of a railroad arm at the corner of 72nd Street and Davidson Avenue at its monthly meeting Tuesday.

Board Member Bill McMullen said the state and federal governments would pay 90 percent of the $225,000 total cost. A partnership between Franklin Township and the City of Delano would take place for the other 10 percent.

The area would be split into four quadrants, and the 10 percent would be split according to who has jurisdiction at the time the work is done.

Presently, three of the quadrants are in the township, but that could change by the time the project could take place, it was noted.

“It’s a bad spot for accidents,” said Board Member John Czanstkowski Sr.

The project will be placed on a list to be considered for government funding, but might not take place yet for several years.

Board approves request for massage business

The township board approved a conditional use permit request for Renee Goedeke, who asked to operate a therapeutic massage business out of her residence in White Birch Acres.

Goedeke is a registered nurse and a graduate of Northwestern Health Sciences University, and said she would use a room off the entry of her house for the business.

She expects to have about 15 clients a week, with hours being 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the week, and 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays.

It was noted there is enough parking in the driveway for three client vehicles, and that no signage is planned for the business.

The board approved the request, with the stipulation the hours and client volume be as presented, and there be no more than three client vehicles parked there at once.

There was no public comment on the request, which now has to go before Wright County Planning and Zoning.

Odds and ends

In other business, the board:

• noted Board Member Al Steinbach spoke with a Watertown Township supervisor, who indicated the township would be interested in a cost-share agreement for a culvert on Common Street. A final decision will be made in spring.

• approved a request for a “slow down: curve ahead” sign to be placed on 40th Street SE near Crow Springs County Park.

Vehicles have ended up in the ditch there recently. While there is a curve sign coming from the Montrose direction, this would be from the Buffalo direction, it was stated.

Steinbach said he spoke with Rockford Township about the signage, because the best placement for it would be in Rockford Township. Rockford Township indicated it was willing to let Franklin Township purchase the sign and put it up on their property.

It was decided to have Franklin Township maintenance order the sign and install it as soon as possible.

• discussed repair versus replacement costs for a 1994 tandem and 1988 road grader. The board needs more information on costs, and decided to table the issue until its Monday, Feb. 5 meeting.

• acknowledged a contribution of $400 that was received from MBE for the township’s general fund. The money will go to the road and bridge fund.

• approved the rezoning of 40 acres of land on 90th Street SE for George Fake, who requested the land be zoned from ag to ag residential, and also to divide the 40 acres into four 10-acre parcels.

• heard a request for a variance on the 300’ road frontage requirement for property located at Meridian Avenue owned by Janelle Mosford.

The board tabled the issue until it can receive more information and review the request with Wright County Planning and Zoning.


Back to Current Stories Menu | Back to Archives List
Herald Journal
Stories | Columns | Obituaries | Classifieds
Guides | Sitemap | Search | Dassel-Cokato Home | Delano Home | HJ Home