August 20, 2007
Red Rooster Days are on the way!
By Kristen Miller
With activities going on all weekend long, there is never a dull moment in Dassel during Red Rooster Days.
The 48th annual Red Rooster Days kicks off Friday, Aug. 31 with music and treats at the Mushroom Building, and ends Labor Day with the largest chicken barbecue in the state.
Events for Saturday, Sept. 1 include a kickball tournament, a community bike ride, a pie social, the parade, and much more.
That evening, outgoing ambassadors Rebekah Neu and Stacy Isaacson will crown the next Dassel ambassadors at the coronation, 7 p.m. at the Performing Arts Center.
Also Saturday night is the street dance, opening at 8 p.m. on Atlantic Avenue with Cowboys and Sneakers performing from 9 p.m. to midnight.
Events for Sunday, Sept. 2 include a brat feed at Spring Lake Park, the Minnesota Minn-E-Rods tractor pull, a community worship service at Evangelical Covenant Church, an evening hymn sing at the Church of Christ, and ending the night with fireworks at Spring Lake Park.
Labor Day events include the Red Rooster Run/Walk, music by the Crow River String Band, the kid’s pedal tractor pull, the classic car show, and the chicken barbecue at Saints baseball field.
This year’s Red Rooster Day is sponsored by the Red Rooster Committee, City of Dassel, and residents of the Dassel area community.
See schedule for details and times.
Red Rooster Days daily schedule
Fri., Aug. 31
• Music - 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at the Mushroom Building- Ice Cream • Treats • Popcorn
Sat., Sept. 1
• Kickball tournament-Quad Fields/Saints Baseball FieldFor information, call Kelly at (320) 275-2225
• Bike ride/rollerblade-Registration at Breed’s Park, Hwy 12, 8:30 a.m. Start time: 9 a.m.
• Non-competitive 7-mile ride. Few hills. Helmets requested. For Information, call (320) 275-4035. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Dassel Area Historical Society presents: Harland P. Anderson “Immigrating to Dassel” • 10 a.m.- refreshments
• Parade at 3 p.m. - Willis St. to William Ave., to 5th St.
• Pie Social after the parade at Gethsemane Lutheran Church serving pie, barbecues, and ice cream
• Street Dance - “Backroads” performing - Open at 8 p.m., band at 9 p.m. Atlantic Ave. Sponsored by Dassel Chamber of Commerce and Thirsty’s Tavern
• Fine Art Show - Universal Lab Building, reception Saturday, 1 - 3 p.m., Open Sunday, 2- 5 p.m. and Monday, 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 2
• Fireworks! Spring Lake Park around 9:30 p.m. Sponsored by the Red Rooster Fireworks Endowment & Red Rooster Committee
• Brat feed-Before the fireworks. Serving begins at 6 p.m. Spring Lake Park, Upper Shelter - Menu: Brats, Hot Dogs, Pop, Floats, Popcorn, sponsored by Knights of Columbus Supporting the Fireworks Fund
• Minnesota Minn-e-Rods, Mini Rod Tractor Pull, 2 p.m. Atlantic Ave. Sponsored by local businesses
• Quilt Show at Dassel Covenant Church, from 3-7 p.m. sponsored by Sew Friendly Quilt Guild
• Community worship service-10:30 a.m. at Evangelical Covenant Church, Speaker Paul Settergren an offering for Dassel Lakeside Activities Dept. sponsored by local area churches.
• Following worship service at the Social Hall- Hot dogs, barbecues and floats, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Proceeds go to the Fireworks Fund.
• Hymn sing at 7 p.m. at Church of Christ
Mon., Sept. 3
• Largest Chicken BBQ in the State! Serving: 10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Menu: 1/2 Chicken, Potato Salad, Coleslaw, Bread, Milk, and Coffee. Saints Baseball Field - Rain or Shine. Tickets are $6 in advance, $7 at Gate. Handicap accessible on 1st St.
• Red Rooster Run/Walk-5-Mile Run and 1-Mile Run/Walk. Registration, 8:00 a.m., run/walk begins at 8:30 a.m. at Dassel Ball Park
• Crow River String Band co-sponsored by Dassel Area Historical Society at noon at the Baseball Grandstand
• Musicians’ Jamboree at 2 p.m. at DAHS Tent
• Kids Pedal Tractor Pull 1 p.m., ages 4-11 sponsored by Wells Fargo, Dassel
• Classic Car Show • 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., ball field, registration 9:30 a.m. For information call Kelly Borchardt, (320) 275-4107
• Quilt Show continues from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. sponsored by Sew Friendly Quilt Guild
• Other activities include: Rock, inflatables, concessions, exhibits, vendors, beer garden, and a hamburger stand until 3:30 p.m.