Coincidence? I think not . . .

April 14, 2008

by Jennifer Gallus

I am saddened to report that I lost my Grandma Rose last week. We all knew she was failing, but nonetheless, it’s always hard to accept the fact that we’ll not see her again until the day we depart from this earth, as well.

Grandma Rose was a feisty woman. When she talked, you best be listening. One minute she could be visiting with you very nicely, and the next she might be ordering you to quit doing something she found disturbing.

That’s exactly how she was in her last days, as well. My sister, brother, and I and our families were visiting grandma at the hospital a few days before she passed away, and she was her same old self even as she was very weak.

It was a very good visit and she made us laugh quite a bit without trying or even meaning to.

We loved her just the way she was, bossy and all, and that made us laugh as we enjoyed our last conversations together.

She lived to be 91 years old, which says something for her determination.

The day after our visit, my sister was telling me about a conversation she and Grandma Rose had about 15 years ago. My sister had asked her to do something after she passed away to show her that there was “another side.” Grandma agreed she would do this.

We reminisced about all the different things we had done with Grandma Rose since we were children.

A couple of nights later, my dogs woke me up in the middle of the night, just as they do once per night, to go to the bathroom.

Like every night, I got out of bed, let them out and let them back in, and went back to bed without looking at the clock. Bella, our puppy, crawled back under my bed, where she likes to sleep, and started growling a steady growl. She had never done that. I’ve heard her bark before, but not growl, and has never made a peep in the middle of the night.

I immediately thought of grandma because I knew that she would be called to heaven at anytime. The growling continued – steady – for at least two minutes. It even woke up my husband.

I couldn’t help but think that maybe my grandma had departed and was paying a visit, so I reached for my glasses to see what time it was since the clock is across the room.

The clock read 3:58 a.m. I made note of the time and said a prayer for grandma as well as some words for her if she indeed was visiting, and went back to sleep.

My brother called that morning at 6:30 a.m. to tell me grandma had passed away. He had stayed up all night with her. I immediately asked what time she passed away, and my brother replied, “3:58 a.m.”

“I knew it!” I said to my brother. I then told him what had happened and he was just as amazed as me.

By the time I told my sister, she had already heard and she said to me, “Grandma went to the wrong house!” My sister remembers waking up around that time, but not thinking much of it.

Even though I was sad to lose grandma, I was happy that she had stopped by on her way out. She had never been to my new house, even though it’s seven years old now, because she hadn’t been very mobile since we built it.

Coincidence? I think not!!


After our first duck, Duke, went missing a few years ago, we figured the culprit was likely a coyote. My then 4-year-old said, “We should go coyote hunting, then cut it open and get Duke out.”