A second printing will be ordered, but the committee is asking for paid book orders by Wednesday, July 2
since only 20 extras (not spoken for) will be printed
By Lynda Jensen
The new book “Howard Lake History, 130 Years of the Good Life,” has sold out, but there will be one second printing of the book -- and that's all -- which will be ready in about 30 days' time. The second printing will be for book orders that are paid in advance, with an extra set of 20 soft cover editions printed that aren't spoken for. It is recommended that book orders be placed and then those who are interested should stop at the Howard Lake Drug Store to pick up their books when they are ready.
Book orders can be made at the Howard Lake Drug Store, Howard Lake Library and the Herald Journal office in Winsted. Hard bound book orders are also due by Wednesday, July 2. For details on how to order, click here.
The book is a complete reprint of the first book done in the 1970s, as well as an update from the past 30 years.
The book contains the following:
• Thirty years of headlines and photographs
• A page about the American Legion and Auxiliary
• Several pages on the history of the Orphans, including team shots and a picture of the reunion in 2005
• A section on HLWW
• Several pages about the HLWW FFA, including a listing of all the honorary degrees, etc.
• Several pages documenting the all-time school sports records, done in conjunction with each coach. This includes football, track and field, boys basketball, girls basketball, wrestling, baseball, and girls softball
• Pictures of record-setting fish taken from Howard Lake, courtesy of Joe’s Sport Shop
• A section on St. James School and St. James Church
• A page for First Presbyterian Church
• Pages devoted to St. John’s Church
• Christian Church and Blessed Hope
• An article about Howard Lake’s 130-year anniversary
• A section on Good Neighbor Days and royalty from the past 30 years
• Four pages about the Howard Lake Library
• City of Howard Lake and police department, Howard Lake Fire Department
• A page about the Lions
• Information about the Good Samaritan Center and Auxiliary
• a page of pictures from Custer’s softball teams
• the record of freeze-up and ice-off on Howard Lake, kept by Gordon Gruenhagen
• Victor Township
• Middleville Township
• A large section devoted to Howard Lake business history
• Howard Lake Post Office
• Reprints of articles about Red’s Pizza, the Scheer Popcorn Wagon, Ittel’s Meat Market
• A page devoted to the last fifty years of dairy royalty
• Old-time stories and photo gallery this section is about 30 pages long, with too many photos and articles to mention by name.
• cemetery records from both St. James and the Howard Lake cemetery associations.
• Reprints of articles from Myron Heuer
• Other articles that are too numerous to mention
In addition, the following locations will be selling the book over the counter, if you can’t make Good Neighbor Days:
• Howard Lake Drug Store
• Herald Journal
• Howard Lake Library
Orders are being taken -- the cutoff for making orders will be Wednesday, July 2
If you wish to have a soft-covered book mailed to you, please send $27.50 ($22.50 for the book plus $5 for postage) to the following address with where you want it sent:
PO Box 142
Howard Lake, MN 55349
Hard bound copies are also available at the Howard Lake Drug for $38.50. To have it mailed, please add $8 for a total of $46.50.