By Lynda Jensen
Filings are sparse yet for school board, city council and mayorships in the area, which feature open seats in the fall election.
Filing for all local seats started Tuesday, Aug. 26 and continues through Tuesday, Sept. 9.
Three people have filed so far for HLWW four-year seats: incumbents Michelle Heuer and Charlie Weber, and newcomer Fred Yerke.
Six out of seven board positions are open for HLWW (all except for Jamie Wiech). Those seats up are: Lori Custer, Al Doering, Michelle Heuer, Dan Schaible, Charles Weber and Paul Weibel.
Two of these positions are two-year terms because they were appointed positions (Heuer and Weibel). The other seats for HLWW are four-year terms.
Lester Prairie School Board is also looking to fill three positions, served by Jeff Hecksel, Melissa Williams and the position served by Bob Carlson, which was just filled by Karla Heigl. All three of these positions are four year terms, despite the fact that Carlson resigned early, since he nearly completed his term.
No one has filed for Lester Prairie School Board yet.
Other city council filings include:
• Howard Lake In Howard Lake, incumbents Rick Lammers has filed for mayor, Mike Mitchell for the two-year council seat and Tom Kutz for a four-year seat. Four out of five council positions are up for grabs at the City of Howard Lake.
Mitchell’s position is a two-year spot, since he was appointed to fill out Al Munson’s seat when Munson vacated it previously.
• Waverly Two have filed in Waverly so far, Keith Harris and Charlie Brown for city council positions. The mayor position served by Ken Hausladen is up. Council seats served by Gary Olson and Deb Hausladen are also up.
• Winsted Incumbent Steve Stotko has filed for mayor. This is the only filing so far.
Seats up in Winsted include the mayor position is up that is served by Stotko, and council positions served by Tom Ollig and Bonnie Quast.
• Montrose One person has filed so far in Montrose, Mary McCarty for city council. The mayor position served by Charlie Nelson is open. Council positions are up that are served by Jeff Peterson and Cindy Beaton.
• City of Lester Prairie One person has filed so far, incumbent Andy Heimerl for mayor. There are four spots open, three council and the mayor position vacated by Eric Angvall. Andy Heimerl was appointed as acting mayor, which left a vacant council position since he was already on the council. The vacant council seat was filled by Bob Messer.
The mayor position has a two-year term. The position served by Messer is also a two-year term to finish out the rest of what would have been Heimerl’s seat.
Other council seats are up that are being served by Ron Foust and Art Mallak. These are four-year terms.
• New Germany One person has filed so far, incumbent Marc Trujillo for council.
In New Germany, the mayor position is open, served by Pete Pederson. Three council positions are open, two four-year terms served by Trujillo, and Shirley Jaeger, and the seat that was held by Chip Purcell who resigned in June. Jim Paul was appointed to fill that seat through the end of the year.
• Mayer One person has filed so far, incumbent Chris Capaul for mayor. In Mayer, the mayor position is up, served by Capaul as well as council positions served by Ron Haag and Jim Stanley.
County board positions
County board positions will also offer open seats.
McLeod County has three seats open this year, those being served by Ray Bayerl, Grant Knutson, and Bev Wangerin.
Wright County will have two positions up, those being served by Jack Russek and Karla Heeter. Russek is seeking re-election, and Heeter is not.
In Carver County, board member seats held by Tom Workman, and Tim Lynch are open.