By Lynda Jensen
Filings open Tuesday for several local seats. There will be plenty to fill come fall, when voters go to the polls November.
Six out of seven school board positions are open at Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted, and four out of five council positions are up for grabs at the City of Howard Lake.
Both HLWW and Lester Prairie are going through something of a transition period, with Lester Prairie replacing Supt. Joe Miller, who is retiring, and HLWW looking at potential high turnover.
The filing period for school board begins Tuesday, July 1 through Tuesday, July 15.
Aside from this, the mayor position is up in every local town even Montrose, which features a four-year term, instead of a two-year, like the other cities.
All the council seats for four-year terms, unless otherwise noted.
The following seats will be open:
• Howard Lake the mayor position is up, served by Rick Lammers. Council positions to be open are served by Jan Gilmer, Tom Kutz, and Mike Mitchell.
Mitchell’s position is a two-year spot, since he was appointed to fill out Al Munson’s seat when Munson vacated it previously.
• Waverly the mayor position served by Ken Hausladen is up. Council seats served by Gary Olson and Deb Hausladen are also up.
• Winsted the mayor position is up that is served by Steve Stotko. Council positions up are Tom Ollig and Bonnie Quast.
• Montrose the mayor position served by Charlie Nelson will be open. Council positions are up that are served by Jeff Peterson and Cindy Beaton.
• City of Lester Prairie there are four spots open, three council and the mayor position previously served by Eric Angvall. Andy Heimerl was appointed as acting mayor, which left a vacant council position since he was already on the council. The vacant council seat was filled by Bob Messer.
The mayor position has a two-year term. The position served by Messer is also a two-year term to finish out the rest of what would have been Heimerl’s seat.
Other council seats are up that are being served by Ron Foust and Art Mallak. These are four-year terms.
• New Germany the mayor position is open, served by Pete Pederson. Two council positions are open, served by Marc Trujillo, and Shirley Jaeger.
• Mayer the mayor position is up, served by Chris Capaul. Council positions up are Ron Haag and Jim Stanley.
School boards are also looking at transition
Six out of seven board positions will be open in the fall for HLWW (all except for Jamie Wiech). Those seats up are: Lori Custer, Al Doering, Michelle Heuer, Dan Schaible, Charles Weber and Paul Weibel.
Two of these positions are two-year terms because they were appointed positions (Heuer and Weibel). The other seats for HLWW are four-year terms.
Lester Prairie School Board will look to fill three positions, served by Jeff Hecksel, Melissa Williams and the position served by Bob Carlson, which was just filled by Karla Heigl. All three of these positions are four year terms, despite the fact that Carlson resigned early, since he nearly completed his term.
County board positions
County board positions will also offer open seats.
McLeod County has three seats open this year, those being served by Ray Bayerl, Grant Knutson, and Bev Wangerin.
Wright County will have two positions up, those being served by Jack Russek and Karla Heeter. Russek is seeking re-election, and Heeter is not.
In Carver County, board member seats held by Tom Workman, and Tim Lynch are open.