By Lynda Jensen
In many cases, a long list of candidates will be featured in the fall election, with several stepping forward to file in local races for school board and city council.
Seven people have filed for HLWW seats.
For the four-year seat, incumbents Paul Weibel, Michelle Heuer and Charlie Weber filed, as well as newcomers Fred Yerke and Jesse Tintes. For the two-year terms, incumbents Dan Schaible and Al Doering have filed.
Six out of seven board positions are open for HLWW (all except for Jamie Wiech). Those seats up are: Lori Custer, Al Doering, Michelle Heuer, Dan Schaible, Charles Weber and Paul Weibel. Two of these positions are two-year terms because they were appointed positions (Heuer and Weibel). The other seats for HLWW are four-year terms.
Four filed for Lester Prairie School Board, incumbent Karla Heigl, Joe Miller (the former superintendent), Rollie Radtke, and Corbey Hentges. Lester Prairie will be filling three open seats in the fall served by Jeff Hecksel, Melissa Williams and the position served by Karla Heigl (left vacant by Bob Carlson).
All three of these positions are four-year terms, despite the fact that Carlson resigned early, since he nearly completed his term.
Other city council filings include:
• Howard Lake In Howard Lake, four people have filed. Incumbents Rick Lammers has filed for mayor, and Mike Mitchell for the two-year council seat. For the four-year council seat, incumbents Tom Kutz and Jan Gilmer filed. Four out of five council positions are up for grabs at the City of Howard Lake. Mitchell’s position is a two-year spot, since he was appointed to fill out Al Munson’s seat when Munson vacated it previously.
• Waverly Five filed in Waverly. Ken Antil filed for mayor (he is serving the council currently). For Waverly council, incumbent Gary Olson re-filed, along with newcomers Keith Harris, Connie Holmes and Charlie Brown. The mayor position served by Ken Hausladen is up. Council seats served by Gary Olson and Deb Hausladen are also up.
• Winsted Incumbent Steve Stotko has filed for mayor. For council, incumbents Bonnie Quast and Tom Ollig have re-filed. These three positions are the only seats up in Winsted.
• Montrose Ten people have filed so far in Montrose. For mayor, three have filed; Andy Kauffman (who currently sits on the council), Tim Hackenmiller, and Lloyd Johnson. For Montrose council, there are seven candidates of which only one is an incumbent Jeff Peterson, who currently serves on the council, and newcomers Mary McCarty, Joe DeBauche, Georgina Woidyla, Scott Jensen, Lisa Ellwoods, and Jason Simmons. The mayor position served by Charlie Nelson is open. Council positions are up that are served by Jeff Peterson and Cindy Beaton.
• City of Lester Prairie seven have filed in Lester Prairie. Two have filed for mayor, Andy Heimerl (who currently serves as mayor), and Stan Ehrke. For council, five have filed in Lester Prairie. For the four-year council positions, four have filed; incumbent Art Mallak, as well as newcomers Darvin Heldt, Bob Messer, and Travis Schlangen. For the two-year position open in Lester Prairie, one person has filed; that being Ron Foust, who currently serves on the council.
There are four spots open, three council and the mayor position vacated by Eric Angvall. Andy Heimerl was appointed as acting mayor, which left a vacant council position since he was already on the council. The vacant council seat was filled by Bob Messer. The mayor position has a two-year term. The position served by Messer is also a two-year term to finish out the rest of what would have been Heimerl’s seat. Other council seats are up that are being served by Ron Foust and Art Mallak. These are four-year terms.
• New Germany Four people have filed in New Germany. Incumbent Pete Peterson filed for mayor. Three filed for council, incumbents Marc Trujillo and Shirley Jaeger filing for the four-year council terms, and Jim Paul filing for the two-year council position (the seat that was held by Chip Purcell who resigned in June. Jim Paul was appointed to fill that seat through the end of the year).
• Mayer Several people have filed in Mayer. For mayor, incumbent Chris Capaul has filed. For Mayer council, the following people have filed: Erick Boder, Bruce Osborn, Tim Masters, Allen Pedersen, Bryan Geruntho, and Etienne (Tice) Stieve-McPadden. In Mayer, the mayor position is up, served by Capaul as well as two four-year council positions served by Ron Haag and Jim Stanley.