By Ivan Raconteur
Several times each year, the McLeod County Board conducts evening meetings in locations other than the board room in Glencoe to give county residents who may not be available during the day a chance to see the board in action.
The Lester Prairie City Hall was the site of last Tuesday’s meeting.
During the meeting, the board approved an agreement with Bergen Township for a jurisdictional turnback of McLeod County Road 84 from the county to the township. The township approved the agreement June 12.
The board scheduled a public hearing on the turnback Tuesday, Aug. 5 at 11 a.m. during the regular board meeting in Glencoe.
The turnback will allow for replacement of Bridge 5881 over the Crow River this year using township bridge funds from the state. The bridge has been closed since December.
Knutson announces he won’t seek re-election
Board Chair Grant Knutson of Hutchinson announced that he does not plan to seek re-election this fall. Knutson was first elected to the board in 1984, and has served 20 of the past 24 years. He said he decided not to run after he attended his 60th class reunion June 21.
Knutson said he was making the announcement to give people time to prepare before the filing period opens in August.
“We’ve got to get young people involved. They’ve got to get interested. It’s important,” Knutson commented.
He said the reunion made him aware of the passage of time, noting that the first reunion he attended was his 20th, when he stayed up late into the night celebrating. By the 30th reunion, he went home at midnight.
“On Saturday, I got home at quarter to nine,” he said.
Odds and ends
In other business, the board:
• approved an agreement between the county and the City of Lester Prairie for a Safe Routes to School grant. There is no county cost for the project, which will be completed with federal and city funds.
• approved a bid of $145,640 from Buysee Roofing of Waite Park for removal and replacement of the roof of the McLeod County Jail.
Six bids were received for the project, ranging from $145,640 to $247,960.
Work on the project was expected to begin immediately, and be completed by Tuesday, September 30.
• approved $404 reimbursement to the City of Winsted for compost site monitoring during the fourth quarter of 2007.
• approved setting the mileage reimbursement rate for county staff and committee members at 58.5 cents per mile effective Tuesday, July 1 to match the new IRS rate.
• approved a revised county administrator job description and authorized advertising to fill the position.
• approved a voluntary leave without pay program for county employees. Employees may take up to 10 days leave without pay after they have used their accrued vacation and compensatory time.