By Ryan Gueningsman
Leasing property recently acquired with the hopes of expanding its school campus was given the go-ahead by members of the Delano School Board at its monthly meeting last Monday.
This spring, district voters agreed to the purchase of approximately 13 acres of land to be used for future campus expansion. On that land, known as the Lundeen property, is a home and several outbuildings.
Until voter approval is received for any type of future expansion, the school district is going to lease the buildings on the property it just purchased, and approved advertising to find someone to lease the property for a minimum of one year.
The board also discussed the rate to charge per month, setting that at $1,500 per month for the three bedroom, 1,871-square-foot home. The property also has two full baths, single and double car garages, and several appliances, and is located on a five-acre lot on Wright County Road 30.
Odds and ends
In other business, the board:
• accepted the resignations of first grade teacher Deb Lovegren, assistant track coach Boak Wiesner, and youth development coordinator/eighth grade soccer coach Nathan Kennedy.
The board also approved the hiring of elementary basic skills teacher Virginia Diethart, first grade teacher Nicole Jensen, replacing Lovegren; 40-day in-house substitute Daniel Mathieson, replacing Ross Alford, who will retire Nov. 6; high school online learning instructor Nancy Stellrecht, replacing Jeff Sylvester, who retired; elementary school special education teacher Annamarie Todd-Dylla, replacing Cynthia Brieseimeister, who resigned; elementary school special education teacher Heather Walberg, replacing Char Sorenson, who retired; elementary school paraprofessional Marcie Heikkila, replacing Nancy Larson, who retired; and elementary school paraprofessionals Rheanna Jerde and Kim Bonine.
• accepted donations from Carolyn Milano and Brad Pappas of $3,123 for elementary school technology and $3,000 for middle school technology.
The board also received a donation from Jim Schoening of hand carts for custodial use.
• approved contracts for bread and milk for the upcoming school year with Pan-O-Gold and Kemps.
• noted the filing for candidacy dates for the upcoming school board election will take place Aug. 26 through Sept. 9.
Four positions are up for election on the school board, including those presently served by Peter Brasket, Lorrie Mulholland, Sarah Gallagher, and Kevin Max. For more information on filing, contact the district office.
• entered into a lease agreement for an apartment on Elm Avenue for its Chinese guest teacher.
• approved a contract amendment for Community Education and Affinity Web Solutions, the company that handles its online registration functions.
The board also approved the purchase and installation of a new phone system in the community education building at a cost of approximately $38,000.
• set its annual truth in taxation hearing for Tuesday, Dec. 2, with a continuation hearing set for Monday, Dec. 15.
• set a joint meeting with the Rockford School District to meet with local legislators Monday, Nov. 10 at the Delano Middle School auditorium.
• heard and approved the first reading of revisions to the facility use policy and fee schedule.