By Roz Kohls
Red Rooster Days in Dassel is shaping up to be a crackling good time. There will be activities the entire weekend.
The 49th annual Red Rooster Days kicks off Friday, Aug. 29 with music and treats at the Mushroom Building, and ends Labor Day with the largest chicken barbecue in the state.
Events for Saturday, Aug. 30 include a kickball tournament, a community bike ride, an adult bean bag toss, the parade, John Carlsted at the Dassel Area Historical Society, ProWorks open house, and much more.
That evening, outgoing ambassadors Kayla Jo Forsman and Paige Meier will crown the next Dassel ambassadors at the coronation, 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center.
Also Saturday night is the street dance, opening at 8 p.m. on Atlantic Avenue, with Crow River Band performing from 9 p.m. to midnight.
Events for Sunday, Aug. 31 include a brat feed at Spring Lake Park, the Minnesota Minn-E-Rods tractor pull, a community worship service at Evangelical Covenant Church, an evening hymn sing at the Church of Christ, and ending the night with fireworks at Spring Lake Park.
Labor Day events Monday, Sept. 1, include the Red Rooster Run/Walk, music by the Prairie Fiddlers, the kid’s pedal tractor pull, the “Dance Style Dancers,” and the chicken barbecue at Saints Baseball Field.
This year’s Red Rooster Day is sponsored by the Red Rooster Committee, City of Dassel, and residents of the Dassel area community.
Red Rooster Days daily schedule
Fri., Aug. 29
• Music - 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at the Mushroom Building- Ice Cream, treats, and popcorn will be available.
Sat., Aug. 30
• Kickball tournament-Quad Fields/Saints Baseball Field. For information, call Kelly at (320) 275-2225
• Bike ride/rollerblade-Registration at Breed’s Park, Hwy 12, 8:30 a.m. Start time: 10 a.m.
• Non-competitive 7-mile ride will begin at 10 a.m.. There will be few hills. Helmets are requested. For Children under 12 and they must be accompanied by an adult.
• Dassel Area Historical Society presents John Carlsted, 10 a.m. at the museum. Refreshments will be available.
Adult bean bag toss at Thirsty’s Tavern at 12:30 p.m.
• Parade at 3 p.m. - Willis St. to William Avenue, to Fifth Street to Centennial.
• Pie social after the parade at Gethsemane Lutheran Church.
• Street dance - “Crow River Band” performing - Open at 8 p.m., band at 9 p.m., Atlantic Ave. It is sponsored by Thirsty’s Tavern.
• Fine Art Show - Universal Lab Building, reception Saturday, 1 - 3 p.m., Open Sunday, 2- 5 p.m. and Monday, 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Sun., Aug. 31
• Fireworks! Spring Lake Park around 9:30 p.m. Sponsored by the Red Rooster Fireworks Endowment and Red Rooster Committee
• Brat feed-Before the fireworks. Serving begins at 6 p.m. at the Spring Lake Park upper shelter - Menu: Brats, hot dogs, pop, floats, popcorn, sponsored by Knights of Columbus supporting the Fireworks Fund.
• Minnesota Minn-e-Rods, Mini Rod Tractor Pull, 2 p.m. Atlantic Avenue. It is sponsored by Farmers State Bank.
• Community worship service-10:30 a.m. at Evangelical Covenant Church, The speaker is Rev. Joel Swedberg. An offering for Dassel Lakeside Activities Department will be collected. The service is sponsored by local area churches.
• Following worship service at the Social Hall- Hot dogs, barbecues and floats, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Proceeds go to the Fireworks Fund.
• Hymn sing at 7 p.m. at Lamson Evangelical Free Church.
Mon., Sept. 1
• Largest Chicken BBQ in the State! Serving starts at 10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Menu: 1/2 Chicken, potato salad, coleslaw, bread, milk, and coffee. Saints Baseball Field - Rain or shine. Tickets are $7 in advance, $8 at gate. The dinner is handicap accessible on 1st Street.
• Red Rooster Run/Walk-5-Mile Run and 1-Mile Run/Walk. Registration, 8 a.m., run/walk begins at 8:30 a.m. at Dassel Ball Park
• “Dance Style Dancers” will perform. They are co-sponsored by Dassel Area Historical Society at 11 a.m. at the baseball grandstand.
• Prairie Fiddlers at both noon and 2 p.m. at the baseball grandstand.
• Kids Pedal Tractor Pull will be at 1 p.m. The pull is for ages 4-11, and is sponsored by Wells Fargo, Dassel.
• Other activities include: Climbing rock, inflatables, concessions, exhibits, vendors, beer garden, and a hamburger stand until 3:30 p.m.