By Kristen Miller
After receiving an estimate regarding the taping of the school board meetings, the Dassel-Cokato School Board decided to table the issue at its May 22 meeting.
Superintendent Jeff Powers was asked to find out the cost for good sound and stationary video to be used in the taping of school board meetings.
Powers informed the board that the costs totalled $6,500 at which time the board decided it would not go forward with the possibility of recording and broadcasting the meetings at this time.
With three board seats up for election, those of Cary Linder, Brian Danielson, and Denise Ertl, the board discussed election procedures.
Powers informed the board that primaries are no longer a requirement for board elections.
Therefore, the board decided to bypass the primaries. The board has never held a primary election in the past, according to Powers.
The board approved the following items:
• The ratification of the bus drivers’ contracts with the terms of the agreements being 3.0 for the first year and 3.5 for the second. There was also a change in the amount of reimbursement for washing of the mini-bus from $17 to $20, as well as a language change for a longevity bonus for drivers who have been in the district for at least 10 years.
• The resignations of Jodi Munson as early childhood teacher, David Lee as CDL route 32 bus driver, LaNae Beightol as CDL substitute school bus driver, and Shirley Skalberg (retirement) as food service cook and baker; the employments of Jeremy Schmidt as middle school fifth grade teacher, Jill Gustafson as speech/language pathologist, Michelle Melquist as Cokato Elementary fourth grade teacher, Jodi Munson as Cokato Elementary kindergarten teacher, Derek Levno as high school industrial technology teacher, Erin Masimore as half-time high school German teacher, Karley Silvergeg as Dassel Elementary first grade teacher, Katie Erickson as middle school sixth grade teacher, Joe Brennan as middle school fifth grade teacher, Brian Bessingpas as middle school math teacher; lane changes for Kathy Johnson and Mark Lingel; a one year leave of absence for Andrea Barington as half-time developmental adapted physical education teacher at the high school and middle school, and a one-year child care leave of absence for Nichol Roskamp as EBD/FOCUS teacher at the high school.
• The recommendations for tenure including Dean Jennissen, Rob Nudell, and Lee Nelson.
• A resolution related to the termination and nonrenewal of the teaching contract for Kelly Johnson, a probationary teacher in the middle school.
• The out-of-state trip request for FFA to attend the National FFA Convention in October in Indianapolis, Ind.