By Kristen Miller
COKATO, MN - The Cokato Fire Department was called to the David and Tami Witt residence for a house fire at 13742 10th Street NW, Cokato, in French Lake Township Oct. 18.
A call came in to the Wright County Sheriff’s Department at 10:49 p.m. from inside the home, according to Mike Even, Wright County Sheriff’s lieutenant.
The fire appears to have begun in an upstairs bedroom from a pumpkin with a candle in it, according to Cokato Fire Chief Mike Holmquist. Nobody was hurt.
The fire is still under investigation and the homeowners are not sure if the insurance company will declare the home a total loss. For now, due to smoke damage, the house is deemed unlivable and the Witt family is renting a house to stay in, according to David Witt.
Witt has said the support the family has received is “overwhelming,” but the family does, indeed, have insurance. “We are going to have everything we need,” Witt said, noting that the family does not wish to have too much extra attention placed on it.