By Jennifer Gallus
HOWARD LAKE, MN - Howard Lake’s Good Neighbor Days is set for Thursday through Sunday, June 25-28.
“It’s the best-kept little secret in the county,” is what Marilyn Ringold of Howard Lake Drug has heard time and again over the years.
Good Neighbor Days officially begin Thursday with both traditional activities as well as a new one.
• 2 p.m. Queen’s Tea at the Howard Lake Good Samaritan Society.
• 6:30 p.m. Sail into Good Neighbor Days kickoff banquet at the Howard Lake Christian Church. Meal served at 7 p.m. Cost is $7 with button, $8 without button. Dinner provided by Sunni’s Grille in Howard Lake, sponsored by the Howard Lake Business Association.
• 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Pontoon rides at Lion’s Park for seniors and families who have little access to lake activities, free-will offering appreciated. Conditions apply such as signing a “hold harmless” agreement, and any child under 18 must be accompanied by a parent. Tickets are required and must be picked up prior to the event from the Howard Lake Drug Store.
Note: this is updated and different than previously advertised.
Friday is full of treats, ball games, and entertainment.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Ice cream shakes, Security State Bank foyer (former coffee shop), sponsored by Security State Bank/Wright County Dairy Association.
• 4 to 8 p.m. Root beer floats for $1.50 sponsored by Howard Lake Good Samaritan Center (fundraiser) matching funds applied for through Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Wright County Chapter.
• 6 p.m. Pee Wee Reese Baseball Tournament, Yager Field.
• 6 p.m. Burger and fries stand by the fire station.
• 6 p.m. to midnight Beer garden by the fire station.
• 6 to 8 p.m. KRWC Road Show: music, games, and prizes.
• 6 p.m. Orphans Baseball Tournament at Memorial Park.
• 7 p.m. Kiddie parade. Line up at 6:30 p.m. on 8th Street, west side of HLWW Middle School. Sponsored by Embarq.
• 8 p.m. to midnight Band under the tent “RIZE”.
• 10 p.m. Fireworks at Memorial Park. If rained out the fireworks will move to Saturday night at 10 p.m. Courtesy of Security State Bank and City of Howard Lake.
Saturday begins early and ends late as the day is packed with activities.
• 6 a.m. Pancake breakfast at Lions Park ($5.00) before Fishing Contest. Also, hot dogs and beverages during the fish weigh-in (noon time approximate). Sponsored by Howard Lake Lions.
• 8 a.m. to noon 27th annual Fishing Contest at Lions Park (register at 7 a.m. at the park).
• 9 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Craft, flea and country market day. East side employee parking lot of Security State Bank.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Book sale, sloppy joe’s, and strawberry shortcake at the Community Room above the Howard Lake Library. Last 30 minutes fill a bag for a $1. Sponsored by the Friends of the Howard Lake Library.
• 10 a.m. 19th Annual One Block Run. Starts south of city hall. Airplane toss to follow the walk/run.
• 10 a.m. PeeWee Reese Baseball Tournament, Yager Field.
• 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. HLWW National Honor Society car wash at Munson Lakes Nutrition. Donations accepted.
• 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Root beer floats for $1.50 sponsored by Howard Lake Good Samaritan Society (fundraiser). Matching funds applied for through Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Wright County Chapter.
• 10:30 a.m. (after the One Block Run) Airplane toss.
• 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Carnival games at the fire station. Sponsored by GND Royalty Committee and “Fired-Up Lions.”
• 11 a.m. Remote helicopter/airplane show Dan Judd.
• 11 a.m. Bouncer at the fire station, K & K Fun Time.
• Noon Burger and fries by the fire station.
• Noon Beer garden by the fire station.
• Noon Hot dogs and beer at fishing contest weigh-in at Lion’s Park, Howard Lake Lions.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Dunk tank by the fire station.
• 1 p.m. Bingo sponsored by HLWW After Prom under the tent.
• 1 p.m. Local food drive sponsored by area churches, event to be determined. “Weigh-in” will be announced at the fire station for the month-long effort.
• 2 p.m. Turtle races at the fire station. Howard Lake American Legion Post 145.
• 3 to 4 p.m. Tug of war and refreshments at the Country Store. Sponsored by the Country Store.
• 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Pork chop dinner by the Howard Lake Fire Department at the fire station.
• 5 to 7 p.m. French Lake Wrestling Association by the fire station.
• 6 p.m. Orphans Baseball Tournament, third-place game at Memorial Field.
• 7:15 p.m. Orphans Baseball Tournament, championship game.
• 8 p.m. to midnight Music by “Deep Fried Tweeters,” under the tent at the fire station.
• 10 p.m. Fireworks (if rained out on Friday) at Memorial Park, courtesy of Security State Bank and City of Howard Lake.
Sunday offers more community fun and wraps the celebration up by crowning new royalty and drawing raffle winners.
• 8 a.m. 5K Run/Walk, northeast side of Howard Lake to Memorial Park. Proceeds go to Howard Lake Watershed Alliance. Matching funds by Thrivent.
• 10:30 a.m. Community church service, under the tent near the fire station.
• Noon PeeWee Reese Baseball Tournament, Yager Field.
• Noon Burger and fries stand at the fire station.
• Noon Beer garden at the fire station.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Dunk tank. fire station.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Car show at middle school parking lot (north side).
• 2 p.m. Grande Day Parade. Line up 1 p.m. at Wright County Fairgrounds. Minnesota Twins Mascot TC Bear (sponsored by the Howard Lake Business Association and KRWC radio) will be among the participants.
• 3 p.m. Entertainment under the tent at the fire station.
• 5:30 p.m. (NEW TIME) Royalty Coronation at the HLWW High School (County Road 6) in the Laker Theater.
• 5:30 p.m. Raffle drawing for cash prizes sponsored by Howard Lake Good Neighbor Day Committee during the coronation. Beautification winners of hanging basket contest sponsored by the Howard Lake Business Association.
• Evening Howard Lake Fire Department raffle drawings at the fire station, includes an Arctic Cat 650 4 x 4 four wheeler.
*Times, locations and events may change without notice.