By Ivan Raconteur
LESTER PRAIRIE, MN Lester Prairie School Board Member Chester Hoernemann told the board last Monday that the sidewalk on the north side of the school is damaged, causing a trip hazard, and should be fixed.
Hoernemann explained that the garbage truck drives onto the sidewalk in front of the north entrance to pick up the dumpster that is located next to the school.
He said the sidewalk was broken and had been pushed down about two inches.
“We need to do something about it for liability reasons,” Hoernemann said.
“If you are going to have to tear it out, pour it twice as thick and add some rebar,” School Board Member Rollie Radtke said.
The board directed Superintendent Mike McNulty to contact Waste Management to discuss the situation.
The board left it up to McNulty to find a solution to the problem, which may include finding another location for the garbage receptacles.
Odds and ends
In other business, the board:
• approved the revised 2009-10 budget. Business Manager Alice Daak said most of the changes were the result of administration changes, teacher retirements, and the hiring of new teachers.
• heard from Elementary Principal Pam Lukens that the winter community education bulletin will be published at the end of the month.
• approved using the City of Lester Prairie and Litzau Excavating for snow removal during the 2009-10 school year.
• acknowledged the students for their good behavior during the Veterans Day program.
• acknowledged the volleyball team for a successful season.
• discussed the policy regarding student vehicle use during lunch hour, but determined that the policy already states that no vehicle use is permitted except with permission from the office, and no action was necessary.
• heard from McNulty that a new student of the month program will begin in November.
• heard from McNulty that a walk-through has been scheduled Friday, Dec. 4 with an architectural firm to discuss the feasibility to possible changes to the cafeteria area.