By Kristen Miller
DASSEL, MN Red Rooster Days, featuring the largest chicken barbecue in the state, kicks off this weekend with a special ribbon cutting ceremony for the grand opening of the Dassel Farmers’ Market.
Ten vendors are expected to be set up shop in Bandstand Park, located in the heart of Dassel on Atlantic Avenue, Friday, Sept. 3.
“We’re excited about it,” said Mayor Mike Scanlon and president of the Dassel Farmers’ Market.
“We hope that it draws people to downtown Dassel,” Scanlon said, adding that opening day of the market was a good kick-off for Red Rooster Days.
Wayne Medcraft, board member, helped make the idea of a farmers’ market in Dassel come alive in a relatively short amount of time.
Typically, it takes about a year to successfully launch a farmers’ market, Medcraft said, adding it was about six months for Dassel’s.
Medcraft anticipates there will be a variety of locally grown produce including vegetables, apples, even honey.
“There should be a nice mix of products,” he said.
The market will be open Friday, Sept. 3 from 3 to 7 p.m., with a special ceremony at 2:30 p.m.
Dassel’s all-school reunion and pepfest
With this being the year for the Dassel all-school reunion, there are several activities planned surrounding this event.
The reunion will take place during an open house at the Dassel-Cokato Performing Arts Center Sunday, Sept. 5 from 2 to 5 p.m. “Heavy” hors d’oeuvres and dessert will be served in the lobby. A special program with a slideshow will take place in the auditorium at 3 p.m. with Don Berg and Jon Benson emceeing.
Prior to Sunday’s reunion, the Dassel Area Historical Society will host a pepfest Saturday at 10 a.m. in the Dassel Elementary auditorium in honor of the all-school reunion.
The pepfest will have 10 to 20 former cheerleaders rallying the crowd with the oldest cheerleader being Joan Benson, at age 80.
Also part of the pepfest during which will be pep talks where former Dassel High School graduates including Dwight Dahlman, and Julie Schuman will reminisce.
A small band made up of former band members will also entertain the crowd who can sing along to all three of the school songs, two for Dassel High School and one for Dassel-Cokato High School.
Everyone is invited to this event and attendees are invited to the Dassel History Center following for coffee and rolls.
At that time, the historical society will open its new exhibit “Those were the Days,” featuring pictures and artifacts about the school.
25th anniversary parade
The 25th anniversary Red Rooster Days parade is set for Saturday at 3 p.m. with Nancy Larson being named this year’s grand marshal.
Friday, Sept. 3
• 3-7 pm Dassel Farmers' Market Bandshell Atlantic Ave.
• 8:15 pm Movie in the Park “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,” Dassel Ballpark
Saturday, Sept. 4
• 9 am bike ride/rollerblade 18 mile ride
• 9 am Kickball Tournament Spring Lake Park
• 10 am bike ride/rollerblade 7 mile ride
• 10 am dassel area historical society Pepfest Dassel Elementary School
• 12:30 pm bean Bag Toss Tournament Thirsty's Tavern
• 1-3 pm fine arts show Dassel History Center & Ergot Museum
• 3 pm Parade Willis St. to William Ave. to 5th St.
• After Parade pie social Gethsemane Lutheran Church
• 5 pm waterball Fire Station
• 7 pm Ambassador coronation DC Performing Arts Center Admission: 17 years and under $3, Over 18, $6
• 8 pm street dance featuring no SHAME Thirsty’s Tavern, Atlantic Ave. $2 at gateSunday, Sept. 5
• 10:30 am COMMUNITY WORSHIP service Evangelical Covenant Church Lunch to follow in Social Hall 11:30 am - 1 pm
• 2-5 pm fine arts show Dassel History Center
• 2 pm Minnesota Minn-e-Rods Atlantic Ave.
• 2-5 pm Dassel All School Reunion DC High School
• 6 pm BRAT FEED Spring Lake Park, Upper Shelter
• 7 pm hymn sing Dassel Church of Christ
• 9:30 pm FIREWORKS Spring Lake Park
Monday, Sept. 6
• 8:30 am Red Rooster Run/Walk 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Run/Walk Dassel Ballpark, registration 8 am
• 9 am - 4 pm fine arts show Dassel History Center
• 10:30 am 3:30 pm bbq chicken dinner Dassel Ballpark $8
• 10:30 am 3:30 pm concessions, vendors, music, exhibits, antique tractor show Dassel Ballpark
• 1 pm KIDS PEDAL PULL Dassel Ballpark Ages 4 to 11