By Jennifer Kotila
HOWARD LAKE, MN Good Neighbor Days in Howard Lake began Saturday with the first Good Neighbor Days golf tournament at The Greens of Howard Lake.
It continues Thursday, June 23, with Howard Lakers celebrating throughout the weekend.
Most of the fun events scheduled throughout the weekend are familiar, having taken place for many years during the Good Neighbor Days Celebration.
There is something for everyone, young and old alike, at the Good Neighbor Days festival. Events include a craft fair, dancing in the street, plenty of tasty treats, music, rock climbing, and turtle races.
There will also be foot races, fireworks, a fishing contest, baseball tournaments, carnival games, an airplane toss, bingo, wrestling, parades, and of course, the Howard Lake royalty coronation Sunday evening.
A new event this year will be a bean bag tournament, which will take place Saturday, June 25 at 11 a.m. There is a $20 entry fee per person, with two-person teams.
Entry forms for the events that require them can be found on the Good Neighbor Days website. A link to the website can be found on the Herald Journal’s homepage, www.herald-journal.com.
People can also call Jeanne Brose at (612) 910-1724 to sign up for the events.
Forms for the 5k run, the one-block run, and permission forms for the pontoon rides will be available at Howard Lake Drug.
Due to the street and utility improvements taking place in Howard Lake this summer, the parade route has been changed slightly.
Instead of continuing to 13th Avenue on the south side of Highway 12, the route will turn right on 11th Avenue. It will then turn left on 7th Street, then right on 12th Avenue, crossing Highway 12.
It will then turn left on 5th Street, then right on 13th Avenue, ending at the fairgrounds.
Schedule of events
Thursday, June 23
• 2 p.m. Queen’s Tea at Good Samaritan Society Howard Lake.
• 6:30 p.m. Good Neighbor Days Kickoff Banquet at Codger’s Cove on Howard Lake. The meal will be served at 7 p.m. Cost is $7 with GND button, $8 without. The dinner is provided by Sunni’s Grille of Howard Lake, and the banquet is sponsored by Howard Lake Business Association.
• 8 p.m. ’til dusk Pontoon rides in Lions Park for a free-will offering. Sign up sheets are available at Howard Lake Drug and are a requirement to participate in the ride.
Friday, June 24
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Ice cream and fresh strawberries in honor of the Howard Lake Strawberry Festival, which took place in the mid-1940s through the early 1950s. Ice cream will be served at the Security State Bank foyer. Sponsored by Security State Bank.
• 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Root beer floats, sponsored by Good Samaritan Society - Howard Lake. This is a fundraiser with matching funds applied for through Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Wright County Chapter.
• 6 p.m. - PeeWee Reese Baseball Tournament, Yager Field
• 6 p.m. Burger and fries stand by the fire station.
• 6 p.m. to midnight Beer garden by the fire station.
• 6 p.m. Rock climbing wall by fire station, courtesy of the National Guard
• 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. KRWC Road Show with music, games and prizes.
• 6 p.m. Orphans baseball tournament at Memorial Park.
• 7 p.m. Kiddie Parade, line up at 6:30 p.m. on 8th Street on the west side of HLWW Middle School.
• 8 p.m. to midnight The band “Utter Chaos” under the tent at the fire station.
• 10 p.m. - Fireworks at Memorial Park, courtesy of Security State Bank and the city of Howard Lake. (If rained out, the fireworks will move to Saturday night at 10 p.m.)
Saturday, June 25
• 6 a.m. Pancake breakfast at Lions Park before the fishing contest, cost is $5. Also, hot dogs and beverages during the fish weigh-in around noon. Sponsored by the Howard Lake Lions.
• 8 a.m. to noon The 29th annual fishing contest at Lions Park, register at 7 a.m. at the park.
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Craft sale at Security State Bank, in the east side employee parking lot.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Book sale, sloppy joes, and strawberry shortcake in the community room above the Howard Lake Library. During the last 30 minutes, fill a bag of books for a $1. Sponsored by the Friends of the Howard Lake Library.
• 10 a.m. The 21st annual one-block walk/run, starting south of city hall. The airplane toss will take place following the walk/run.
• 10 a.m. PeeWee Reese Baseball Tournament, Yager Field.
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. HLWW National Honor Society car wash at Munson Lakes Nutrition, donations accepted.
• 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Root beer floats, sponsored by Good Samaritan Society - Howard Lake.
• 10:30 to 2 p.m. Carnival games at the fire station, sponsored by GND Royalty Committee and “Fired-Up Lions.”
• 10:30 to 2 p.m - Baseball and basketball throw inflatables, courtesy of the National Guard.
• 11 a.m. - Bean bag tournament in the parking lot south of fire station. Entry fee is $20 per person, with two-person teams. Cash prizes for the winners. If rained out, the tournament will take place on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. in the same location. Sponsored by the Good Neighbor Days Committee.
• Noon Kid Power with Rachael, under the tent at the fire station. The performance includes a unique blend of interactive guitar music, comedy, cartoon impressions, and juggling. Sponsored by Howard Lake Library/Legacy Funding from Great River Regional Library.
• Noon Burger and fries by the fire station.
• Noon Beer garden by the fire station.
• 1 p.m. - Everett Smithson Band, under the tent at the fire station. The band brings an infectious spirit of fun to their unique blend of zydeco, blues, rock, gospel, and more with a unique twist on classic favorites; plus some delightful and inspired originals. Best known for their performances at Mardi Gras events. Sponsored by Howard Lake Library/Legacy Funding from GRRL.
• 1 p.m. Bingo sponsored by HLWW after prom committee in the fire station.
• 2 p.m. Turtle races at the fire station, sponsored by the Howard Lake American Legion Post 145.
• 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Pork chop dinner at the fire station, sponsored by the Howard Lake Fire Department.
• 5 to 7 p.m. - French Lake Wrestling Association by the fire station.
• 6 p.m. Orphans baseball tournament, third-place game at Memorial Field.
• 7:15 p.m. Orphans baseball tournament, championship game.
• 8 p.m. to midnight Music by “RIZE” under the tent at the fire station.
• 10 p.m. If rained out on Friday , fireworks at Memorial Park, courtesy of Security State Bank and the city of Howard Lake.
Sunday, June 26
• 8 a.m. 5K Walk/Run for the Lake, beginning on the northeast side of Howard Lake and ending at Memorial Park, sponsored by the Howard Lake Watershed Alliance.
• 10:30 a.m. Community church service, under the tent near the fire station.
• 11:30 a.m. Bean bag tournament if rained out on Saturday.
• Noon PeeWee Reese Baseball Tournament Yager Field
• Noon Burger and fries stand at the fire station.
• Noon Beer garden at the fire station.
• Noon to 4 p.m. Car Show at the HLWW middle school parking lot, on the north side.
• 2 p.m. Grande Day Parade, line up at 1 p.m. at the Wright County Fairgrounds.
• 3 p.m. Mike Elsenpeter and his one-man band, old time music in the Whoopi John style, at the fire station.
• 3 p.m. Baseball and basketball throw inflatables, courtesy of the National Guard.
• 6 p.m. - Royalty coronation at the HLWW High School on County Road 6 in the Laker Theater.
• 6 p.m. Raffle drawing for cash prizes sponsored by Howard Lake Good Neighbor Days Committee, during the coronation at the high school. Beautification winner of the hanging basket contest, sponsored by the Howard Lake Business Association.
• Evening Howard Lake Fire Department raffle drawing for a Polaris 500 four-wheeler, at the fire station.
Times, locations, and events may change without notice.