By Ivan Raconteur
LESTER PRAIRIE, MN Lester Prairie School Board canvassed results of the general election during Wednesday’s board meeting.
Incumbents Karla Heigl (981 votes) and Rollie Radtke (942 votes) were both re-elected. Board Member Joe Miller did not seek re-election, and no candidates filed for that seat.
Two candidates announced write-in campaigns for the open seat. Results announced Wednesday show that MerriLea Kyllo received 262 votes and Chester Hoernemann received 53 votes. Therefore, Kyllo was elected to fill the third council seat, making her the newest member of the board.
Odds and ends
In other business, the board:
• approved contracts, including: Mike Bjork, trapshooting coach; David Klitzke, spelling bee and geography bee coordinator; Jocelyn Buckentin, one-act play; Ben Machemehl, ninth grade boys’ basketball coach; Nicole Lange, junior high softball coach; Blaine Walstrom, junior high girls basketball coach; Kelly Elling, junior varsity softball coach; Dave Marquardt, seventh grade boys’ basketball coach; Marv Ebensperger, ninth grade boys’ basketball coach; Ryan James, seventh grade boys’ baseball coach; Wes Kapping, assistant track coach; and Nicole Lange, seventh grade girls basketball coach.
• heard a presentation from Deb Griffiths on the Schools for Equity in Education (SEE) organization.
• heard an update from the library committee.
• approved an agreement to provide teaching experiences for students from Southwest Minnesota State University.
• heard an update from Julie Olson regarding the senior class trip to New Orleans in mid-April. The cost of the trip is $1,319 per student, and 20 students are participating. They have been raising funds to pay for the trip.
The board approved the itinerary for the trip, and approved Troy Feltmann as a chaperone, in addition to Olson.
• re-scheduled the first board meeting in 2013 for Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 6:30 p.m. in the media center.