By Ivan Raconteur
LESTER PRAIRIE, MN Lester Prairie School Board during last Monday’s meeting voted to move forward with plans to call for a special election to ask for voter approval to transfer funds to pay for building improvements.
The motion was approved on a 5-1 vote, with board members Joe Miller, Matt Klitzke, Gregg Machemehl, Rollie Radtke, and Karla Heigl in favor, and Board Chair Bob Carlson opposed.
Carlson expressed a concern that it will be difficult to explain the request to voters.
In July, the board asked the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) to approve a transfer of $806,800 from alternative facility restricted/reserve 409 in the building construction fund to the operating capital restricted/reserve 424 in the general fund.
The MDE denied that request.
The request to transfer funds included everything that had been identified at that time. The biggest unforeseen costs involved a sprinkler system and additional asbestos abatement that was not included in the original scope of the project.
McNulty said the transfer of funds would not increase the levy or the taxes of the district.
McNulty noted the board could also ask for approval to transfer an amount less than the $806,000 figure.
The special election will take place in January or later, according to McNulty. It could cost the Lester Prairie School District about $10,000, McNulty said.
Odds and ends
In other business, the board:
• heard from Principal Jeremy Schmidt that current enrollment is about 420, compared to 401 at the end of the last school year.
• approved the resignation of Kali Pelham.
• approved the hiring of JoAnn Vertetis as k-12 ELL/ESL teacher.
• approved extracurricular contracts for Jocelynn Buckentin, high school student council advisor; Christine Mattson, National Honor Society advisor; Troy Feltmann, media coordinator; Bill Neubarth, assistant football coach; Joe Kley, varsity baseball coach; Mike Bjork, science fair coordinator; and Kim DeBruyckere, yearbook advisor.
• approved child care leave from Nov. 19 to Feb. 8, 2013 for Terri Helland.
• approved Joe Scoblic as dean of students.
• approved updates to the student handbook regarding the senior class trip policy.
• approved making the trap shooting coach a paid position.
• acknowledged a donation of $1,000 from the Lester Prairie Booster Club toward the purchase of a swing set.
• acknowledged Sandie Adams-Bruins, Martina Boettcher, Tianna Kappes, and Jennifer Boettcher for the donation of a drum set in memory of Tony Boettcher.
• acknowledged Common Cup Ministries for the donation of a scientific calculator.
• acknowledged Kelli Machemehl for donations to the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports program (PBIS).
• acknowledged Lisa Feltmann for conducting a garage sale with extra supplies from Bulldog Central. The proceeds will support PBIS.
• acknowledged Marsden for providing hot dogs and chips for the open house.