By Starrla Cray
CARVER COUNTY, MN Don’t miss the excitement of the 2013 Carver County Fair, Wednesday, Aug. 7 through Sunday, Aug. 11.
Here’s a small sampling of what this year’s fair has to offer:
BMX racing Aug. 7
New to the fair this year is BMX (bicycle motocross) racing at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7 in the grandstand. The event is free for attendees.
Riders can sign up starting at 4:30 p.m. Practice will take place from 5 to 7 p.m., with racing action to follow.
Participants will be matched by age and ability, competing for points, awards, and cash. To learn more, contact Ryan Voss of Buffalo Creek BMX in Glencoe at (320) 510-0404.
Contests of all kinds
Have a talent to share? A few of the fair’s contests include:
Thursday, Aug. 8
• 10th annual best fruit bread contest, Ag Building, entry time from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., judging at 1:30 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 9
• Cookie jar contest, Ag Building, 1:30 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 10
• Kids pedal pull, ages 4 to 11, Entertainment Center, 11 am. (register at 10:30 a.m.)
• Diaper Derby, Entertainment Center, 1 p.m. (register at 12:30 p.m.)
Sunday, Aug. 11
• Amateur talent contest, Entertainment Center, 1 p.m. First place, $90; second, $60; third, $30, fourth, $10.
• Little sister/brother cookie/cupcake decorating contest, Ag Building, entry time from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Judging at 1:30 p.m.
Some of the fair’s contests showcase the talents of animals like the rooster crowing contest in the show tent at 1 p.m. Saturday.
At 2 p.m. that day, judging will take place for a pet/cat show.
Numerous 4-H livestock competitions take place throughout the week, as well, featuring pigeons, doves, rabbits, pigs, horses, sheep, cows, alpacas, goats, llamas, and more.
Ride and play
Exciting rides and games will be provided by GoldStar Amusements each day of the fair, starting at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7.
The midway will open at 1 p.m. Friday, Aug. 9; and at noon Thursday, Aug. 8, Saturday, Aug. 10, and Sunday, Aug. 11.
The Carver County Historical Society log building will offer old-time activities Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, including:
• gunny sack races
• hoops and sticks
• making buzz saws
• yarn dolls
Friday afternoon, there will also be a discussion about the history of music, with records, an umbrola, and more.
A little night music
The evening schedule at the Entertainment Center is as follows, all starting at 8:30 p.m. (ages 21-plus with valid ID):
• Wednesday Johnny Holm Band
• Thursday Boogie Wonderland
• Friday DiamondBack
• Saturday Pop Rocks
General admission for ages 7 through adult is $7 per day. Children 6 and under are admitted for free. A season pass (for all five days) is $30 in advance ($35 at the gate)..
Thursday, Aug. 8 is Senior Citizens Day, and ages 60 and older receive half-price admission from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 9 is Military Appreciation Day, with free gate admission with a military ID.
To learn more about the Carver County Fair, go to www.carvercountyfair.com.