Join Waverly for a St. Patrick's Day celebration Saturday, March 16
By Starrla Cray
WAVERLY, MN Waverly’s Maureen (Kittock) Ogle, known to many as “Mo,” feels lucky to have a day to celebrate her Irish heritage, right in her hometown.
“Last year, the whole town was green,” she said. “We all dress up you don’t walk out the door without wearing green.”
The second annual Waverly St. Patrick’s Day festivities will take place at local businesses Saturday, March 16. The full schedule (listed as a sidebar to this article) includes face painting, a parade, pub games, prize giveaways, live music, and more.
“It’s one big heck of a party,” Ogle said.
In the past, many Waverly residents, including Ogle, traveled to Maple Lake for St. Patrick’s Day. In 2012, event organizers decided to create an event closer to home.
“We had a great turnout,” Kate Breault said of last year’s event. “Twenty-five teams registered for the scavenger hunt.”
Not all participants were Irish, of course, but Waverly is definitely proud of its heritage.
In Ogle’s family, Irish roots go “way back.”
“My mother, Lorraine Kittock, is the most Irish of them all,” Ogle said, adding that Lorraine is part of an Irish group in town.
Ogle’s family is also proud of its Waverly roots. Her daughter, Cassandra, even named her 11-month-old “Waverly,” after the community.
Part of Waverly’s St. Patrick’s Day celebration is a $300 medallion hunt. The first two clues were printed in the March 4 issue of the Herald Journal. The third clue is as follows: “Keys are for locks and locks are for secrets. But this is a key of a different kind. It won’t open doors but can be bountiful, back in the garden of time.”
Starting today, one clue per day will be posted on the Herald Journal blog site, www.hjblogs.com.
The fourth and fifth clues will also be on the Waverly St. Patrick’s Day Facebook page Friday, March 15 and Saturday, March 16.
The final clue will be handed out Saturday, March 16 at Humphrey Elementary School in Waverly, immediately after the St. Patrick’s Day parade.
If the medallion is found before the festival, turn it in to the Waverly Liquor store.
A children’s medallion hunt will also take place during the festival. Organizers will be hiding green eggs, one of which will have a medallion inside.
Waverly St. Patrick’s Day schedule
• 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Face painting at What Next Art Studio
• 9 a.m. to noon Breakfast at Waverly Café and Uptown Bar & Grill
• 1 p.m. Parade lineup at Humphrey Elementary. Prior signup on Facebook is appreciated but not required.
• 1:30 p.m. Parade down Main Street.
• During the parade Irish costume contest for children. A secret judge will determine the winner. Prize is $25.
• 2 to 3 p.m. Social hour. Register a team for pub games and pick up game passports at Waverly Liquor or Uptown
ost is $1 per person. A non-perishable food item is optional.
• 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Live Irish music by the Glengariff Duo at the Waverly Liquor tent.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Pub games at Waverly Liquor and Uptown Bar & Grill. (Pre-registration can be done on Facebook, posting a team name and captain’s name. Teams should have two to six members.) Teams will compete for prizes and a traveling shamrock trophy by playing three “minute to win it” games at each bar.
• 7 p.m. Regroup at Waverly Liquor for game prizes, medallion winner prizes, and awards for the best Irish outfit, hat, facepaint, and jig.
• 8 p.m. Entertainment at Waverly Liquor by Bad Dog, at Uptown Bar & Grill by Cory Roufs, and at the RedLodge Grille (TBD).
Festival sponsors include the city of Waverly, Waverly Liquor, Uptown Bar & Grill, Waverly Café, What’s Next Art Studio, Kutz Collision and Glass, Waverly Gun Club, Waverly Fire Department, RedLodge Grille, and Citizen’s State Bank.