By Tara Mathews
HOWARD LAKE, MN Good Neighbor Days (GND) will offer many new events this year, including an Old West shootout, an equine parade, and an archery event.
“I’m excited for all the new events we have planned this year,” Good Neighbor Days event coordinator Cindy Zitzloff said.
The activities will take place Wednesday through Sunday at various locations in Howard Lake.
New this year
There are some new fundraisers teaming up with GND.
A Food for Kidz packaging drive will take place Wednesday at St. James Lutheran School gymnasium from 4-7 p.m.
Saturday’s events include a blood drive at Citizens Alliance Bank from 4-7 p.m.
Learn about Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane, and see an Old West Shoot-out reenactment with a Wells Fargo stage coach robbery, Saturday from 5 to 7 p.m.
The Country Store and Truhaven Ranch are sponsoring a Good ‘Neigh’bor Days Equine Parade of Breeds Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The parade will feature various horse breeds from Truhaven Ranch, and will begin at The Country Store.
“Kruzin for the Kids” will take place Sunday at Citizen’s Alliance Bank from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
A Disney character meet-and-greet will take place Sunday near the fire hall at 3 p.m.
An archery event will also take place Sunday from 3 to 5:30 p.m.
“We are very excited to have MN Archery, Litchfield with us this year, doing an event,” volunteer Mary Schlief said.
All equipment is provided, and five arrows will cost $5. Participants will shoot in their designated course. Each target hit will enter participants into a drawing for a chance to win a bow fishing charter for up to four people within the area.
HL Legion baseball team will host SD team
The Howard Lake Legion baseball team will host Webster, SD Sunday, June 22 at 4:30 p.m. at Memorial Park in Howard Lake.
A player from Webster saw a photo of Memorial Park at the Town Ball Tavern at Target Field, and with the Webster team coming out to a Twins game, they scheduled a game with Howard Lake.
Traditional GND events
The queen’s tea and kick-off banquet will take place Thursday.
Kiddie parade, music, and fireworks are set for Friday.
The one-block run, bean bag tournament, fishing contest, turtle races, and music will take place Saturday.
The 5K walk/run, “Rockin R Ride” car and motorcycle run, grande day parade, royalty coronation, fireman’s waterball tournament, and kiddie pedal tractor pull for ages 4 to 11 are planned for Sunday.
There will be various food and ice cream treat stands at locations such as the fire station, Citizen’s Alliance Bank, and under the canopy by city hall.
Musical entertainment will take place Friday and Saturday from 8 p.m. to midnight behind city hall, and is sponsored by Howard Lake Lions.
There will be musical entertainment Sunday, as well.
“Under the Covers,” a Minnesota band, will perform Friday. They are a rock and dance hits cover band.
“Rize,” a local band, will perform Saturday. They play rock, alternative rock, and pop rock.
The lead singer, Jason Deiter, is a Howard Lake native.
Jesse Ray, of “Killer Hayseeds” will perform country and country-rock music Sunday from noon to 5:30 p.m. by the fire station.
There are many baseball games scheduled, including:
• PeeWee Reese baseball tournament, Friday at 6 p.m. at Yager Field;
• Orphans baseball tournament, Friday at 6 p.m. at Memorial Park;
• PeeWee Reese baseball tournament, Saturday at 10 a.m. at Yager Field;
• Orphans baseball tournament, Saturday at 6 p.m. at Memorial Park; and
• PeeWee Reese baseball tournament, Sunday at noon at Yager Field.
GND button packets
Good Neighbor Days button packets cost $5, and include a button and five raffle tickets for the drawing that will take place during the royalty coronation Sunday; one does not need to be present to win.
Prizes include $500 cash, $200 cash, and $100 cash.
Button packet proceeds fund GND drawings and events.
Button packets can be purchased at Troubles Bar and Grill, Midwest Machinery, The Country Store, Howard Lake Drug, Howard Lake Foods, Emmy’s Salon, Shape and Style, Citizen’s Alliance Bank of Howard Lake, Codger’s Cove, Joe’s Sport Shop, Zitz-loff Snow and Lawn, PeeWee Reese GND baseball tournaments, Orphans GND baseball tournaments, the tent near the fire station during GND, and from any royalty member or candidate during GND.
Those with a GND button will receive discount offers during GND at various businesses and events.
Discount offers include:
• free admission to Orphans baseball games during GND;
• five percent discount on off-sale items at Howard Lake Municipal Liquors;
• $5 off new or renewed Herald Journal subscription within 55349 zip code;
• $1 off admission to the GND Kick-off Banquet;
• free admission to the royalty coronation;
• $1 Precious Moments figurine with purchase of one; 25 percent off jewelry; and a free scarf at Howard Lake Drug;
• $1 off pizza pillows at Troubles Bar and Grill;
• 25 percent off any regular-priced retail purchase at Emmy’s Salon;
• 25 percent off everything except consignment at One Sky Thrift Store;
• 10 percent off food purchase at Howard Lake Legion;
• $1 off automatic carwash ,and $1 off any large pizza at The Pit Stop;
• $5 off full service oil change for month of June at Mr Tire;
• 10 percent off all toys at Midwest Machinery;
• $5 off any salon service at Geekquinox;
• 10 percent off jerky and summer sausage at Grandpa Ittel’s Meats;
• 10 percent off fresh-cut flowers at Posey Patch; and
• four-month membership to Vital Fitness Gym for $99.99.