By Tara Mathews
LESTER PRAIRIE, MN Residents of Lester Prairie and the surrounding area are in for a new entertainment treat this summer.
The Lester Prairie Lions Club, American Legion Post 463, and Legion Auxiliary Unit 463 cooperatively organized six “Music in the Park” events, which will begin Tuesday, June 2 at 6 p.m. at the Lester Prairie City Park, located near the swimming pool along 2nd Avenue South.
“We decided Lester Prairie needed an event that the whole community could enjoy besides Prairie Days, which is a once per year event,” Legion Auxiliary Post 463 President Audrey Litzau said.
Members from the three organizations researched how similar events are conducted in other cities to get ideas how to begin forming the event in Lester Prairie.
“We found out Hutchinson, New Prague, and Silver Lake give away items donated by local businesses,” Litzau noted. “We also found out that similar events are well-received and attended in those communities.”
The event will include music by one of several local groups, door prizes donated by local businesses, and food each week.
“There will be a small charge per person for the light supper, but it’s free to enter the door prize drawing and enjoy the music,” Litzau stated.
Each week the bands and food are sponsored by a local business or organization. The schedule includes:
• June 2 music by George’s Concertina Band; sponsored by the Lester Prairie Lions Club.
• June 9 music by Lowell Schubert and Nancy Buckentine; sponsored by the Lester Prairie Lions Club.
• June 16 music by Phyllis Hummel and the Swinging Country Band; sponsored by the Lester Prairie National Honor Society.
• June 23 music by Cindy’s Concertina Band; sponsored by Rite Way Manufacturing of Lester Prairie.
• June 30 music by Blake Klaustermier; sponsored by St. Paul’s Youth Group of Lester Prairie and American Legion Post 463.
• July 7 music by One More Time band; sponsored by the Prairie Arts Council and American Legion Post 463.
Food will be served from 6 to 7 p.m., the music is scheduled from 7 to 8:30 p.m., and door prize drawings will take place near the end of the music.
“This event will go on rain or shine,” Litzau commented. “And bring a lawn chair.”
Local or area businesses that would like to donate a door prize can contact Audrey Litzau at (320) 395-3488, Hillard Klaustermeier at (320) 395-2287, or drop donations at a drop box located at First Community Bank in Lester Prairie.
“We hope to see many of our friends, old and new, at these events,” Litzau added.