BY STARRLA CRAY
HOWARD LAKE, MN It’s been a good run for Howard Lake Drug.
The pharmacy has served the Howard Lake area for 98 years, and has been owned by John and Marilyn Ringold since 1978.
“We cannot thank our customers enough for their loyalty to Howard Lake Drug the past 37 years,” Marilyn said.
An announcement was made Friday that the pharmacy is closing, and prescription files have been transferred to Shopko Hometown Pharmacy in Cokato.
“It’s just the pharmacy that’s being sold,” Marilyn said, explaining that at least through December coffee and gift items will be available, and the soda fountain will remain open.
At Shopko, customers are likely to see familiar faces when filling prescriptions. Pharmacist John Ringold is transferring, along with Howard Lake Drug employees Ruth Young and Tammy Paulson.
“Shopko is a leader in healthcare and pharmacy services, and we are happy to be joining Shopko in continuing to provide excellent service to our customers,” John noted in a press release. “We are also committed to looking for new ways to better serve our customers and are excited about some of the programs offered by Shopko which will make our customers’ pharmacy experience as convenient as possible.”
An app is available for customers to manage and refill prescriptions from their mobile phones, or customers can choose to refill prescriptions at any Shopko Pharmacy location.
Free prescription delivery is available within the city limits of Howard Lake, Dassel, and Cokato.
A similar transition occurred recently for Keaveny Drug in Cokato. The pharmacy closed Oct. 2, and pharmacist Kelly Keaveny and other employees transferred to Shopko. (The Winsted and Annandale branches of Keaveny Drug remain open.)
To reach Shopko Pharmacy in Cokato, call (320) 559-0203. Press 1, and follow the voice prompts to speak with a staff member.
Cokato Shopko Pharmacy
• The Shopko store in Cokato opened in October. It is located at 145 Broadway Ave. N. (behind the old creamery at the intersection of Broadway Avenue and US Highway 12.)
• Normal pharmacy hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Saturdays 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Refill requests can be placed by calling (320) 559-0203. Press 1 to reach the pharmacy.
• Refill requests can also be made at www.shopko.com, Shopko’s mobile pharmacy app, or by text message.
• Free prescription delivery is available for customers within the city limits of Howard Lake, Dassel, and Cokato.