By Starrla Cray
McLEOD COUNTY, MN Five new McLeod County Dairy Princesses were crowned March 28 at Peace Lutheran Church in Hutchinson, including:
• Ashle Lukes, daughter of Michael and Reada Lukes of Lester Prairie;
• Rachel Stender, daughter of Allen and Lisa Stender of Lester Prairie;
• Sarah Eggert, daughter of Jerry and Connie Eggert of Hutchinson;
• Genevieve Jeurissen, daughter of Rick and Mindy Jeurissen of Lester Prairie; and
• Cheyenne Schmidt, daughter of Ron and Denise Schmidt of Hutchinson.
Jeurissen received the Miss Congeniality award.
Three of the princesses (Rachel Stender, Ashle Lukes, and Cheyenne Schmidt) were chosen to compete at the training seminar/Princess Kay candidate selection May 15-17 at St. Cloud State University.
“We hope to see them as candidates for Princess Kay of the Milky Way, who is crowned on the eve of the opening day of the Minnesota State Fair,” organizer Janice Konerza noted.
Eight 2015-16 dairy ambassadors, who assist princesses with appearances, were recognized at the banquet, including:
• Emma Hausladen, daughter of Amy Hausladen of Lester Prairie and Andrew Hausladen of New Germany;
• Kiley Lickfelt, daughter of Trudy and Ryan Lickfelt of Hutchinson;
• Ashley Benson, daughter of Dan and Mary Benson of Stewart;
• Sierra and Mckenzie Swanson, daughters of David and Kari Swanson of Hutchinson;
• Grace Jeurissen, daughter of Rick and Mindy Jeurissen of Lester Prairie;
• Elizabeth Krienke, daughter of Kraig and Rachelle Krienke of Lester Prairie; and
• Breanna Wright, daughter of Paul and Heather Wright of Hutchinson.
A STAR Ambassador was chosen for the first time this year. Sierra Swanson received that honor.
Others recognized at the banquet included:
• Phillip and Malinda Kuenzel of Plato, winners of the Friend of Dairy Award;
• Tammy Mathews of Glencoe, winner of the Dairy Farm Woman of the Year Award; and
• Kwik Trip of Hutchinson, winner of the Butter Knife Award.
Anyone interested in having the 2015-2016 dairy princesses attend county activities should contact Peggy Engelmann at (320) 238-2341 or Kelsey Buss at (320) 583-0560.