By Starrla Cray
WINSTED, MN If meeting new friends is one of your goals for the new year, St. John’s Lutheran Church in Winsted can help make it happen.
Church members are planning a free meal the fourth Thursday of each month, starting Thursday, Jan. 22 at 5:30 p.m.
“All are invited to come,” Pastor Mark Loder noted. “They do not need to be residents of Winsted. In fact, we hope that some of the same folks who take advantage of the meal in Watertown will also join us. No special criteria other than being hungry!”
Meals will include a main dish, sides, dessert, and drinks.
“We will serve everything from roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies, hot dish, you name it,” Loder noted. “We are open to suggestions.”
Preparation will be done by church volunteers, as well as anyone in the community who would like to help. Loder said he doesn’t recall anything like this being done at St. John’s before, but he knows of other churches in the area that provide community meals each month.
“This is a great opportunity to live the Gospel, to show the community what being a church is all about,” Loder noted. “Our goal is to provide a nice meal to whoever would enjoy the company and fellowship of their extended family in Christ.”
St. John’s is located at 410 1st St. N., and the meal will be served in the lower level fellowship hall.
“We are willing to look into arranging rides for anyone who may need help getting here,” Loder said.
Anyone who would like to help prepare the meal, help with serving and cleanup, or support the ministry financially is welcome to contact St. John’s at (320) 485-2522.
Enjoy a free meal Thursday, Jan. 22
• What: A free meal for the public. All are welcome to come.
• When: The fourth Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m., starting Thursday, Jan. 22
• Where: St. John’s Lutheran Church, 410 1st St. N. in Winsted
• Why: The meal is a way for members of St. John’s to show love to their neighbors and provide an opportunity for fellowship.
• Contact: Anyone who would like more information or is interested in volunteering to help with the meal can contact Pastor Mark Loder at (320) 485-2522.