By Starrla Cray
LESTER PRAIRIE, MN Math can be tricky, but it’s easier when someone takes the time to demystify the steps.
An opportunity to help kids reach their math potential is currently open at Lester Prairie School through the Minnesota Math Corps.
“It’s all teaching, working one-on-one or with small groups,” Principal Nat Boyer said.
Minnesota Math Corps is an AmeriCorps program, with the goal of helping all Minnesota youth become proficient in math by the end of eighth grade.
In Lester Prairie, the position is open for Jan. 9 through June 24. Experience is not necessary, and training is provided Jan. 9-12 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Twin Cities.
Full-time math tutors receive a living allowance, health insurance, and an education award to use toward student loan repayment or future tuition.
The program is designed to help fourth- through eighth-grade students as they transition from basic to more complex math skills.
“We go up to 10th grade, if we can,” Boyer noted.
Math tutors span a range of ages and backgrounds recent graduates, career changers, parents, veterans, and retirees.
Although experience with youth isn’t required, a successful tutor will often have the following attributes, according to Math Corps:
• strong belief in the potential of all children, and a commitment to seeing them succeed.
• desire to give back to the community through service.
• perseverance and flexibility.
• open to feedback with the ability to improve and develop.
• organizational and time-management skills.
• strong interpersonal skills with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
• ability to use computers and ask for help when needed.
• dependable and on time.
• ability to build and maintain quality working relationships with students and school staff.
• desire to instill a love of learning and math in students.
To apply for the position online, go to minnesotamathcorps.org. Qualified candidates will participate in a phone interview with Math Corps staff.
Boyer said those interested are also welcome to contact him for more information. The phone number for Lester Prairie School is (320) 395-2521.