HOWARD LAKE, MN Howard Lake’s 40th annual Good Neighbor Days offers plenty to do Thursday, June 22 through Sunday, June 25.
The festival kicks off Thursday, June 22. A few entertaining options for the day include:
• Good Neighbor Days kickoff “Townie Block Party” near the fire station from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Teen spirit games, contest, and prizes take place from 6 to 7 p.m., and 8:15 to 9:15 p.m.
• Howard Lake Royalty introduction and cake-cutting. Celebrating 40 years of Good Neighbor Days at 6:45 p.m.
• Special guest Las Vegas magician Kevin Hall at 7 p.m.
• Grand prize drawing must purchase a dinner ticket to enter, at 9 p.m.
Highlights Friday, June 23 include:
• Dusk Dojo Karate bounce house, MAWSECO parking lot, 5 p.m.
• Kiddie Parade, line up at 6 p.m. sharp at Troubles.
• Quilts of Valor presentation, under large tent, sponsored by local Legions, 7:30 p.m.
• Fireworks at Memorial Park at 10 p.m. (If rained out, fireworks will take place Saturday night at 10 p.m.)
Options Saturday, June 24 include:
• Craft and Vendor Fair, Meeker and Wright Special Education Cooperative (MAWSECO) building, old middle school gymnasium, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Turtle races, MAWSECO parking lot, 1:30 p.m.
• Local celebrity dunk tank:
Dave Thompson, HL police chief, 2 to 2:30 p.m.;
Joe Puncochar, sixth grade teacher at Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted School, 2:30 to 3 p.m.;
Andy Hertwig, fifth and sixth grade health and PE teacher at HLWW School, 3 to 3:30 p.m.;
Nick Haggenmiller, city administrator, 3:30 to 4 p.m.
• Rods and Rides Car and Motorcycle Show, 9th Ave. near fire station, from 2 to 6 p.m. Free to enter and for spectators. Registration at 1 p.m. Entertainment by DJ Dr. Fun. Door prizes 3 to 4 p.m., awards presented at 5:30 p.m..
• Music by Crimson Edge, 8 p.m. to midnight
Choices for Sunday, June 25 fun include:
• Breakfast and Howard Lake Trivia, under tent. Cost $6 per person, or $5 with a GND button. Menu includes scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, yogurt, cookie, and juice or coffee.
• One-Block Run, near city hall, at 11 a.m. There is a $10 registration fee, which includes a goody bag and a T-shirt. Winners receive a ribbon and a prize.
• Grande Day Parade from 2 to 3 p.m. Line up at fairgrounds at 1 p.m. Note the change in the route: after Troubles: going up 7th Street to 9th Avenue (NEW), rather than 8th Avenue, back onto 9th Street, then onto 11th Ave, back on 7th Street, turn up 12th Avenue (NEW), to 8th Street and then onto 13th Ave.
• Kids pedal tractor pull, ages 4 to 11, trophies given. Registration at 3:30 p.m., with the pull running from 4 to 6 p.m.
Final tips and tricks
All events are located near the Howard Lake Fire Station unless noted.
The medallion hunt starts Monday, June 19. Look for posted clues on the Herald Journal website, www.herald-journal.com; GND website, GND Facebook page and, HL City Hall and HL Post Office bulletin boards. Must have a 2017 GND button ticket stub to redeem for the $100 reward.