By Starrla Cray
MINNESOTA Do you have a cute pet? Would you like a chance to win $500 or more?
If you answered yes to both of those questions, the 2017 Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch Cutest Pet Contest is for you.
The contest is being presented by The Country Store in Howard Lake, and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to Heart of Minnesota Animal Shelter in Hutchinson.
The 2017 Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch Cutest Pet Contest is open to residents of the US ages 18 and older who own any type of pet, including farm animals.
Employees of Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter or win.
One grand prize winner will receive $500, and will have their pet’s photo published in color on the front cover of the Cutest Pet Contest Special Edition.
The second-place winner will be awarded $250, and the third-place winner will receive $100. Photos of the second- and third-place winners will also be featured in the special edition.
The entrant receiving the most votes in Round One will receive $25, and the entrant receiving the most votes in Round Two will receive $50; their photos will also be published with prize acknowledgement.
How to enter
The cost to enter is $10 per pet, which also covers publication in the Cutest Pet Contest Special Edition of the Herald Journal and Enterprise Dispatch.
• Paper entries: An entry form can be found on page 2A of this issue, and the forms are also available at the Herald Journal office in Winsted and the Enterprise Dispatch office in Cokato. Mail completed forms, along with a photo of the pet and entry fee, to Herald Journal, PO Box 129, Winsted, MN 55395. Forms can also be dropped off at either the Herald Journal office in Winsted (120 6th St. N.) or the Enterprise Dispatch office in Cokato (185 3rd St. SW).
Entries must be received by 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 16. Make checks payable to “Herald Journal Publishing.”
• Online entries: Entries may also be submitted online by clicking on the “Cutest Pet Contest” link at www.herald-journal.com and www.dasselcokato.com. Complete the entry form, upload a photo, and fill in the credit card payment information. Finish by clicking the “SUBMIT” button. The entry fee will appear on your credit card statement as “Online Contest-APT” from Advanced Prepress Technologies, Inc., Burbank, CA.
There is a limit of one pet per photo for contest entry. Group photos of more than one pet will not be entered into the contest, but will be accepted for publication in the Cutest Pet Contest Special Edition. Photos with more than two pets should be submitted at the Herald Journal or Enterprise Dispatch office to determine space requirements and charges.
All photos should be of reproducible quality. Images should be in focus and not grainy. Kiosk and color printer copies cannot be accepted.
Please write the pet’s name, along with the name and phone number of the person submitting the entry, on the back of the photo. Printed photos can be picked up at the Herald Journal or Enterprise Dispatch after the contest, or will be returned if a self-addressed, stamped envelope is provided.
Digital photos submitted online or emailed to the Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch should be in JPG format and 240 dpi or higher.
All entries will be posted on the contest website as they are received. Entries with incomplete or incorrect information will not be accepted.
Entering the contest authorizes the Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch to place the pet’s name and photo, along with the owners’ name(s), on the contest website and in the special edition. Photos taken by professional photographers must have a release form. The contest entrant will assume all copyright infringement charges and legal consequences incurred from unauthorized use of a restricted photo.
Voting is open to the general public, limited to adults ages 18 years or older. Each vote costs 50 cents. There is no limit to the number of votes a person can cast. Voting totals will be posted online as they are received.
Voting will be done in three rounds.
• Round One: The first round of voting will begin at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, May 18 and conclude at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, May 23. Votes may be submitted in-person or by mail at Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch office, or online. Mailed and in-person votes must be received by 4 p.m. May 23. The top 50 percent of entries receiving votes during round one will move on to the second round of voting. Votes from round one do not carry over to round two.
• Round Two: The second round of voting will begin 12:01 a.m. Thursday, May 25, and end at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, May 30. Mailed and in-person votes must be received by 4 p.m. May 30. The top 50 percent of entries receiving votes during round two will move on to the third and final round of voting. Votes from round two do not carry over to round three.
• Final Round: The final round of voting will begin at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, June 1, and end at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, June 6. Mailed and in-person votes must be received by 4 p.m. June 6.
Online votes may be cast at www.herald-journal.com or www.dasselcokato.com using a valid credit card including MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover. There is a $5 minimum. Credit card transactions are non-cancelable and non-refundable. If your credit card is declined for any reason, no vote will be submitted on your behalf. Charges for voting online will appear on your credit card statement as “Online Contest-APT” from Advanced Prepress Technologies, Inc., Burbank, CA. Your computer must accept cookies, which may be used for the purpose of entry tracking. Ad blocking software on your computer needs to be disabled so it does not interfere with processing your entry.
A portion of proceeds from voting will be donated to Heart of Minnesota Animal Shelter in Hutchinson.
All entry and voting fees are non-cancelable and non-refundable.
Winner determination, notification, and acceptance
The grand prize, second-, and third-place winners will be the entries receiving the greatest number of votes in the final round of voting.
In the event of a tie, the prizes will be combined and divided equally among the tied entries.
Odds of winning depend on the number of entries and eligible votes received. Winners will be notified on or about Wednesday, June 7, at the telephone number provided on the winner’s entry form.
Results are not final until all voting transactions by check or credit card have been approved. Acceptance of any prize constitutes winner’s consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information, and likeness in any media for promotional purposes without further compensation. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and paying of any taxes due on prizes.
Entrants agree that all decisions of Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the contest shall be final and binding. The Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this contest.
Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or illegible entries or votes due to failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch.
In the event the contest is compromised by a virus, tampering, or other causes which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the contest, Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch reserves the right to suspend, modify or terminate the Cutest Pet Contest.
Herald Journal/Enterprise Dispatch is not responsible for typographical, printing, or other inadvertent errors in the rules or any other material regarding the contest.
Anyone with questions about the contest can call (320) 485-2535 or email email@example.com.