DASSEL, MN Area residents who enjoy flower gardening and arranging are welcome to participate in the annual flower show, sponsored by the Dassel Area Historical Society (DAHS). It will take place Thursday, July 25, at the Dassel History Center.
The theme of the show this year is Garden Music. Both horticultural specimens and arrangements are welcome and will be judged. A professional flower arranging tip session, music, and refreshments are also scheduled.
The following rules, tips and schedule are also available at the Dassel History Center, 901 First Street; 320-275-3077; firstname.lastname@example.org; or CLICK HERE.
1. Entries are open to all amateurs. There is no entry fee.
2. The DAHS building will open at 8 a.m., and completed entries will be received until 11:45 a.m.
3. The door will be open to the public after the judging, at approximately 2 p.m.
4. First-, second-, and third- place winners awarded. One overall grand champion will be awarded in horticulture, one in arrangements, plus a best of show.
5. Horticultural exhibits must be listed under grower’s name.
6. Accessories will be permitted whenever they help interpret the intended theme in the arrangement category.
7. Exhibitors may make one entry in each arrangement category and sub-division of horticulture classes.
8. Include the name of the variety of horticulture exhibit if possible to make it more interesting to the public.
9. Bottles will be furnished for horticultural specimens.
10. Potted and hanging plants must be in the exhibitor’s possession for at least two months.
Tips for Exhibitors
1. Disqualification results if more or fewer stems or blooms than allowed by schedule are entered.
2. Specimens must be clean and have attractive amount of foliage attached.
3. Remove all foliage below water line.
4. Cut all specimen stems long enough to present a good appearance in the bottle. Points are usually taken off for specimens with too short stems.
5. Garden flowers: Using a sharp knife, cut flowers the evening before or early morning the day of the show. Place in deep, warm water and store in cool place.
6. Arrangements: Flowers and foliage for arrangements should be hardened overnight before arranging.
Group I - Horticulture
Class A Annuals
1. Asters, three stems
2. Bachelor Buttons, five stems
3. Calendulas, three stems
4. Cosmos, three stems
5. Dianthus (pinks), single or double, five stems
6. Marigolds, large, three stems
7. Marigolds, small, three stems
8. Nasturtiums, three stems
9. Pansies, five stems
10. Petunias, three stems
11. Snap Dragons, three stems
12. Sweet Peas, five stems
13. Zinnias, three stems
14. Miscellaneous, any annual with name
Class B Perennials and Bulbs
1. Begonia, one stalk
2. Black-eyed Susan, three stems
3. Carnations, three stems
4. Chrysanthemums, three stems
5. Dahlia, large, one stem
6. Dahlia, medium, one stem
7. Dahlia, small, three stems
8. Day Lily (Hemerocallis) one stalk
9. Gladiolus, one stalk
10. Hosta, small
11. Hosta, medium
12. Hosta, large
13. Hydrangea, one stalk
14. Lilies, tiger, hybrid, or other, one stalk
15. Phlox, one stalk
16. Miscellaneous, any other perennial with name
Class C Roses (in bud vase or bottle)
1. Hybrid Tea, one stem
2. Floribunda, grandiflora, or polyanthus, one stem
3. Shrub, one spray
Class D House Plants
1. African Violets
2. Foliage plants
3. Any flowering plants
4. Cactus or succulent
Class E Patio Potted Plants
7. Planter, at least 3 species
8. Ornamental vegetable
Class F Outdoor Hanging Plant
3. Geraniums, in bloom
Group II Arrangements
Plant material in arrangements must be locally grown, not procured commercially. The entry must be the work of the exhibitor.
Theme: Garden Music
1. Moody Blues - Primarily blue arrangement
2. Wunerful, Wunerful The champagne of arrangements, elegant and bubbly
3. Polka Dots Children’s arrangement
4. Gild the Lily Lily-based arrangement
5. Crimson & Clover Arrangement red-based or with clover
6. Where Have All the Flowers Gone? Veggie arrangement
7. Please, Don’t Eat the Daisies White-based arrangement
8. Blue Grass Arrangement using a grass element
9. Buttercup Miniature arrangement