Farm Horizons, November 2010

Government resources for local farmers

By Starrla Cray
Staff Writer

There are countless opportunities for agriculture producers who want to obtain farm loans, protect the environment, and learn more about their profession. Here is a list of a few of the resources available:

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA):
Provides resources for farmers, including programs for disaster assistance, conservation, energy, and farm loans.
US Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250
(202) 720-2791

USDA McLeod County Farm Service Agency (FSA):
McLeod County FSA
2570 Ninth Street East, PO Box 160
Glencoe, MN 55336
Julie Welter
County Executive Director
(320) 864-5178
Thomas Haubrich
Farm Loan Manager
(320) 864-5974

USDA Meeker County Farm Service Agency (FSA):
Meeker County FSA
916 East Saint Paul Street
Litchfield, MN 55355
Kathy Garner
County Executive Director
(320) 693-2854 ext. 2
Michael Forsberg
Farm Loan Manager
(320) 842-7201

USDA Wright County Farm Service Agency (FSA):
Wright County FSA
311 Brighton Ave. South, Suite A
Buffalo, MN 55313
Kevin Bergquist
County Executive Director
(763) 682-1982 ext 2
Michael Forsberg
Farm Loan Manager
(320) 842-7201

USDA Carver County Farm Service Agency (FSA):
Carver County FSA
219 East Frontage Road
Waconia, MN 55387
(952) 442-2106
Jon Sandholm
County Executive Director
(952) 442-2106
Thomas Haubrich
Farm Loan Manager
(320) 864-5974

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA):
Helps farmers meet their environmental responsibilities.
Minn. Pollution Control Agency
520 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4194
(651) 296-6300
Toll-free: 800-657-3864

Minnesota State Duty officer:
Minnesota Department of Public Safety (to report emergency pollution problems).
Toll free: 800-422-0798 (Greater Minnesota only)
(651) 649-5451 (Twin Cities metro area and outside Minnesota)

Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA):
Provides information about grant opportunities, loans, and financing, as well as disaster cleanup assistance.
Minnesota Dept. of Agriculture
625 Robert Street North
St. Paul, Minnesota 55155-2538
(651) 201-6000
Toll-free: 800-967-2474

The Crow River Organization of Water (CROW):
Works closely with local, state, and federal agencies involved in water quality and quantity issues. The counties involved in the CROW Joint Powers include Carver, Hennepin, Kandiyohi, McLeod, Meeker, Pope, Renville, Sibley, Stearns, and Wright.
Crow River Organization of Water
311 Brighton Avenue Suite C
Buffalo, MN 55313
(763) 682-1933 ext. 112

Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts (MASWCD):
Represents the soil and water conservation districts (SWCDs) of Minnesota. Districts work in both urban and rural settings, with landowners and with other units of government, to carry out a program for the conservation, use, and development of soil, water, and related resources.

Carver County SWCD
Located in the public works headquarters building in Cologne
11360 Highway 212, Suite 6
Cologne, MN 55322.
(952) 466-5230

McLeod County SWCD
2570 Ninth Street East
Glencoe, MN 55336
(320) 864-5176

Meeker County SWCD
916 East Saint Paul Street
Litchfield, MN 55355
(320) 693-7287

Wright County SWCD
311 Brighton Ave. South, Suite C
Buffalo, Minnesota 55313
(763) 682-1970 or (763) 682-1933 ext. 3

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources:
Is comprised of several divisions, including ecological resources, fish and wildlife, lands and minerals, trails and waterways, enforcement, forestry, parks and recreation, and waters.
Joe Kurcinka, regional director for central Minnesota
1200 Warner Road
St. Paul, MN 55106
(651) 259-5800

University of Minnesota Extension Office -
U of M Extension McLeod County
840 Century Avenue SW
Hutchinson, MN 55350-3754
(320) 587-0770
Toll-free: 800-587-0770

Farm Horizons: Main Menu | 2010 Stories

Herald Journal
Stories | Columns | Obituaries | Classifieds
Guides | Sitemap | Dassel-Cokato Home | Delano Home | HJ Home