Farm Horizons, April 2013
NYA dairy expo an ‘udder’ success
By Starrla Cray
“We had an above-average turnout. Our trade show vendors were really pleased, and so were the folks who attended the seminars,” Carver County Ag Extension Educator Laura Kieser said of the February 2013 dairy expo and trade show.
More than 325 people attended the 21st annual Carver County/ University of Minnesota event Feb. 18, which featured educational seminars, lunch, prizes, and opportunities to meet with farming-related businesses.
“In years past, we had a producer panel, but this year, we had a keynote speaker instead Hank Wagner,” Kieser said.
Wagner, of Wagner Dairy Farm in Oconto Falls, WI, spoke about achieving true success and happiness. (Look for a full story about his keynote presentation in this edition of Farm Horizons.)
“Usually, the talks are very science-based, very technical,” Kieser said. “We kind of took a different spin this year.”
Speakers are selected based on emerging issues and attendee feedback surveys.
“The more feedback we receive, the more specific we can make our program,” Kieser said, explaining that evaluation sheets are provided in each person’s informational packet.
Planning for the 2014 expo has already begun, and the event is set for Monday, Feb. 17, at Central High School (531 Morse St.) in Norwood Young America.
“It’s always on Presidents Day,” Kieser said.
To learn more, contact Cindi at (952) 466-5315 or Laura at (952) 466-5306, at the Carver County Extension Office.
• “10 ways to improve profitability without expanding” was presented by Dr. Tom Bailey of Elanco Animal Health. (Look for a full story about the presentation in this edition of Farm Horizons.)
• “10 strategies to feed your dairy herd during high feed prices” was presented by Dr. Noah Litherland of the U of M Extension.
• “New technologies in dairy replacement heifer management” was presented by Pat Hoffman of the University of Wisconsin Extension.
• “How to achieve true success and happiness” was presented by Hank Wagner of Wagner Dairy Farm in Oconto Falls, WI.
• “Calving conundrums” was presented by Dr. John Zimmerman of Liberty Vet Clinic.
• “Innovations in evaluating starch digestibility for lactating dairy cows” was presented by Pat Hoffman.