Farm Horizons, June 2014
Three cheers for June Dairy Month in Wright, McLeod, Carver counties
By Starrla Cray
June is a yummy month for dairy lovers, with plenty of milk, ice cream, and cheese to go around.
Local dairy princesses and ambassadors are especially busy this time of year, with appearances at parades, banks, and other community events. If you’d like to meet them, here’s where they’ll be:
One of the first appearances the Wright County Dairy Princesses make each June is at the Monticello and Buffalo hospitals, welcoming the first June Dairy Month babies born in Wright County with dairy-themed gifts.
They also help with local farm tours for school children, hand out dairy products at local grocery stores, and can be heard on the radio promoting the benefits of dairy.
To request Wright County Dairy Princess attendance at an event this year, contact coordinator Jen Rasset at (320) 420-2745 or send a message on Facebook.
So far, a few events scheduled in June include:
• Tuesday, June 10 Delano Public Library, 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., free ice cream and cow story time;
• Thursday, June 12 Monticello Public Library, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., free ice cream and cow story time;
• Saturday, June 14 Buffalo parade, 6 p.m., promoting Wright County Breakfast on the Farm;
• Sunday, June 15 Albertville Friendly City Days parade, 1:30 p.m., dairy princesses and ambassadors;
• Monday, June 16 Maple Lake Library, 12:30 to 2 p.m., free ice cream and cow story time;
• Friday, June 20 Howard Lake Good Neighbor Days, Citizen’s Alliance Bank, serving ice cream, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
• Saturday, June 21 Wright County Breakfast on the Farm, at Krause Holsteins outside of Buffalo, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.; and
• Sunday, June 22 Howard Lake Good Neighbor Days parade, 2 p.m., dairy princesses and ambassadors.
Each year, the McLeod County Dairy Princesses offer a gift to the first June Dairy Month baby born at the hospitals in Glencoe and Hutchinson.
“The girls also make appearances at local retirement homes,” coordinator Peggy Engelmann noted. “A lot of those are in July, since June is so busy.”
In addition to several events during June Dairy Month, princesses and ambassadors also participate in area parades throughout the summer, and work in the malt wagon at the McLeod County Fair.
To request McLeod County Dairy Princess attendance at an event this year, contact Engelmann at (320) 583-2341.
Appearances scheduled so far in June include:
• Thursday, June 5 Brownton Bank, 3 to 5 p.m.;
• Friday, June 6 Library Square in Hutchinson, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Saturday, June 7 Region 7 Dairy Show
• Tuesday, June 10 Southside Station in Stewart, 4 to 7 p.m.;
• Friday, June 13 First Community Bank in Lester Prairie, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.;
• Monday, June 16 Harmony River, 2 p.m.
• Tuesday, June 17 Casey’s General Store in Winsted, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.;
• Tuesday, June 17 BMX in Glencoe, 7 p.m., girls will speak on what it means to be a dairy princess;
• Thursday, June 19 All day in Glencoe, and at Oak Leaf Park in Glencoe from 4 to 7 p.m.
• Thursday, June 19 Plato, 4 to 7 p.m.;
• Friday, June 20 Silver Lake park, 5 to 7 p.m.
To kick off dairy month, the Carver County Dairy Princesses visit Ridgeview Medical Center in Waconia to welcome the first baby born in Carver County each June. Throughout the summer, the girls also participate in several area parades and festivals.
To have the princesses or ambassadors attend an event this year, contact coordinator Barb Grimm at (952) 657-2476.
A few events scheduled for June so far include:
• Tuesday, June 3 Security Bank dinner at New Germany Hall, 4 to 7 p.m.;
• Friday, June 6 Mackenthun’s Fine Foods in Waconia, 4 to 7 p.m., children’s games and ice cream social;
• Thursday, June 12 Region 7 Dairy Show, 9 a.m.;
• Friday, June 13 Waconia park movie night, 7:45 to 8:45 p.m.;
• Sunday, June 15 Hutchinson Water Carnival brunch and parade, 10 a.m.;
• Monday, June 16 Muscular Dystrophy Association Camp in Maple Lake (tentative);
• Wednesday, June 18 Camp Minnewashta 4-H Day Camp in Excelsior, noon to 4 p.m.;
• Thursday, June 19 Bongard’s Creamery open house, 9 a.m.;
• Thursday, June 19 Citizen’s State Bank in Norwood, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.;
• Friday, June 20 Klein Bank in Norwood Young America, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.;
• Sunday, June 22 Zion Mayer Mission Festival, 12:30 to 2 p.m.;
• Tuesday, June 24 Good Samaritan in Waconia, 3 p.m.; and
• Wednesday, June 25 Baylor Park 4-H Day Camp, noon to 2:30 p.m.