Farm Horizons, February 2015

Equestrian facility requires permitting

By Lori Brinkman
Assistant Carver County Feedlot Administrator

When purchasing a property for a specific use, the authorized land use is one of the most important amenities.

I imagine few things are worse than purchasing the property of your dreams, only to learn that it cannot be used for the purpose you intended.

When considering a property for equestrian-related activities, it’s important to know how many animals can be kept on a particular parcel prior to purchase.

Acreage, shoreland, and setbacks to existing homes are a few variables that may limit the number of horses or animal units allowed on a property, or whether animals can be kept on the property at all.

Here are a few additional things to consider if you are researching the purchase of property in Carver County.

1) A property must be at least 1.5 acres in size in order to keep one animal unit, which is equal to one horse.

2) If you keep horses for personal use and would like to construct an indoor riding arena, a Conditional Use Permit is required.

3) A property must be at least 10 acres in size in order to qualify for a Conditional Use Permit.

4) A property owner may board up to two horses that are not their own without requiring a Conditional Use Permit.

5) An equestrian facility specifically used for boarding, breeding, or training requires a Conditional Use Permit.

6) Property utilized for the boarding of horses must be homesteaded.

7) No commercial boarding is allowed on a property that is enrolled in the Agricultural Preserve Program.

8) A property that is not currently a registered feedlot and is in shoreland is limited to nine animal units or less.

Properties that include both shoreland and non-shoreland areas are allowed to keep animals in shoreland, provided the shoreland area is maintained as densely vegetated pasture.

Pastures are not feedlots, and therefore do not fall under feedlot rules.

If you would like more specific information on an individual property, contact the Carver County Land Management Department at (952) 361-1820.

Farm Horizons: Main Menu | 2015 Stories

Herald Journal
Stories | Columns | Obituaries | Classifieds | HJ Home