Farm Horizons, Aug. 2018
It’s not summer without the fair . . .
By Nancy Dashwood
Close your eyes around these parts in the late summertime, and inhale deeply. You may catch the scent of hay, popcorn, diesel fumes, garden-fresh fruits and vegetables, and yes, probably livestock, too. The mingling of all those scents can mean only one thing: it’s time for the fair! Here are some details about upcoming fairs happening nearby.
Sibley County Fair: Aug. 1 - 5: Arlington
• Friday, Aug. 3 the 4-H Horse Show, the 4-H Goat Show, a free sweet corn feed, and Night of Destruction band;
• Saturday, Aug. 4 the Open Class Dairy Show, the Open Class Beef Show, the Sibley County Sheriff’s Posse Horse Show, the rib cookoff, a kids’ pedal pull, and the Arlington Raceway Auto Races;
• Sunday, Aug. 5 the Ranch Rodeo, the 4-H Livestock Costume Contest, the queen coronation, the Sibley Slam Demolition Derby, and the Radio Active band.
For more information, visit https://www.sibleycountyfair.com/home.
Meeker County Fair: Aug. 2 - 5: Litchfield
• Friday, Aug. 3, Senior Citizen Day Goat yoga, Euchre tournament, chainsaw carving, tractor pull, and a Nick Moser singing performance;
• Saturday, Aug. 4, Kid’s Day 4-H Share in the Fun Showcase, rock climbing wall, 4-H pet show, demolition derby, and the country music of Two Hicks and a Chick.
• Sunday, Aug. 5, Free Day Church service, bean bag tournament, Minnesota Woman’s Equestrienne Drill Team, Lego contest, and the Merchants of Soul music performance.
For more information, visit https://www.meekerfair.com/.
Carver County Fair: Aug. 8 - 12: Waconia
Wednesday, Aug. 8 Carver County Sheriff’s Office coin hunt, pig races, 4-H Arts-In performances, and the Minnesota Minn-E-Rod tractor pull;
Thursday, Aug. 9, Sr. Citizen Day Exotic zoo, 500 card tournament, Senior Citizen of the Year program, Carver County Century Farms program, Open WSCA Horse Game Show, and music by The Dweebs;
Friday, Aug. 10 Art in Motion street art, 4-H Fashion Review, Military Service Recognition March, veterans program, flower-arranging contest, NTPA tractor pull, and music by Diamondback;
Saturday, Aug. 11 Dairy Fun and Games for Kids with dairy princesses and ambassadors, kids’ pedal tractor pull, 4-H chicken BBQ contest, Diaper Derby, Rooster Crowing Contest, bingo, Out-of Field Tractors, Semis and Pickups Pull, and the music of 32 Below;
Sunday, Aug. 12 Church at the fair with music by Chuck Thiel and the Jolly Ramblers, Minnesota Circuit Riders Open NSCA Horse Show, 4-H Pet/Cat Show, amateur talent contest, demolition derby, and the Church of Cash (Johnny Cash Tribute Band).
For more information, visit https://www.carvercountyfair.com/index.php.
McLeod County Fair: Aug. 15 - 19: Hutchinson
Wednesday, Aug. 15 4-H Rabbit Show, Building Cedar Strip Canoe, by Brian Haines; TDI Chapter 252 Therapy Dogs, RC car racing, and Supercross;
Thursday, Aug. 16 Wild Things Zoo attractions, The Oaks and Pines Bell Choir, Open Class Horse and Pony Judging, and Supercross.
Friday, Aug. 17 Comedy and Magic with Kevin Hall, “Luce Line Trail & Winsted Herald Journal,” presented by Chris Schultz; Awards Ceremony for Century Farms, Farm Family of the Year and 4-H awards, Xtreme Autocross and The Johnny Holm Band;
Saturday, Aug. 18 Draft Horse Hitch Show, Dazzling Dave Yo-Yo Master, Wild Goose Cloggers, “Little Golden Books,” presented by Ellen Radel; truck and tractor pull, and the Ron Keel Band.
Sunday, Aug. 19 Veggie Car Races, Wendinger Band, presentation of Dairy Herdsmanship Awards, Xtreme Demolition Derby, and the music of The Whitesidewalls.
For more information, visit https://www.mcleodcountyfair.com/default.aspx.
Wright County Fair: Howard Lake
The Wright County Fair took place in July before this issue of Farm Horizons was published.