HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
Monday, November 21, 2005
HLWW High School Media Center
The November 21, 2005 Regular School Board Meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Chairman Lideen. After the Pledge of Allegiance, roll was taken with member present: Weber, Schaible, Hammer, Custer, Doering, Borrell, and Lideen. Also present were Superintendent George Ladd, Principals Mike Day, Dean Wessman, and Jennifer Olson; Business Manager Judi Salonek and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Lideen indicated the auditor will be here a little later and so we will here the report when he is here. Weber motioned to approve the agenda; Hammer seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V) There were no comments from visitors.
(Item VI) Weber motioned to approve the consent agenda; Schaible seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. A) Hammer motioned to approve the JOBZ transfer; Weber seconded; those in favor: Custer, Doering, Borrell, Hammer, Schaible, and Weber; opposed: none; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. B) Ladd reviewed the Web site updates.
(Item VII, Subd. C) Lideen said we would skip this until the auditors we here to report.
(Item VII, Subd. D) Ladd reviewed the treasurer’s report, and explained the new format of the attached report. The board discussed the new format of the treasurer’s report.
(Item VII, Subd. E) Lideen and Ladd reviewed the draft of a buildings and grounds/lead custodian posting.
(Item VII, Subd. F) Hammer motioned to approve the seniority list; Weber seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. G) Weber motioned to approve the remaining Winsted Coaching staff; Doering seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. H) Weber motioned to approve the child care leave of Jolene Davidson and approval of the resignation of Sam Flom; Borrell seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. I) Weber motioned to approve the employment of Belinda Kaye as the One-Act Play Director; Custer seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII, Subd. J) Lideen read the following recognitions:
The School Board recognizes the American Legion of Waverly for donating an American Flag to Humphrey Elementary. Thank you very much for your donation.
The School Board recognizes the teachers honored recently at the 14th annual Leadership in Educational Excellence (LEEA) banquet: Jeff Swenson, Josh Klenken, Kathleen Diederick, and Lisa Jennissen. This annual event sponsored by Resource Training and Solutions, honors educators for their dedication to teaching and inspiring students. We congratulate you on this accomplishment, and thank you for your commitment to students of this District.
The Board recognizes all the Veterans who attended our Veterans Day program on Friday, November 11th. We would also like to thank: Mr. Day, Mr. Roux, Ms. Starr, the band and choir, and all the students who helped make this an outstanding Veterans Day program.
Lideen also thanked all veterans who have served our country.
Weber thanked the American Legion of Winsted for donating a flag to Winsted Elementary.
Custer motioned to approve the recognitions as read and with the additions; Weber seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. A) Principal Olson reported:
• The elementary celebrations, muffins for moms and donuts for dads, went very well. Olson also thanked the food service staff and Laker Pride for making this a great day.
• Extended Day Kindergarten is now full and we have a waiting list
• Staff had an inservice with using TIES
Principal Wessman reported:
• Thank you to all the students who donated items for the Katrina and Rita Hurricane victims.
• December 12th conferences will be in 5 minute intervals and specific times according to last names.
• The middle school and DCAC and MEEP are looking into trying the AVID program next year.
• November 17th Pat Weseloh attended a science workshop sponsored by the Lake Ann Association.
Principal Day reported:
• Students have taken the ASVAB test to help them determine what type of work they should pursue.
• We have about 150 kids participating in the breakfast program
• The fall musical went very well, and Dassel-Cokato is interested in pursuing a joint venture again next year.
• Winter sports are up and running.
• Conferences will be December 12th from 4-8 pm
• Day thanked the FFA students for always doing a wonderful job on what ever they are asked. Day also thanked the FFA Alumni for donating money for the floriculture class, subscriptions and donations for students to attend competitions.
(Item VIII, Subd. B) No student council report
(Item VII, Subd. C) Paul Harvego and Darrin Ogdahl auditors from the firm Conway, Deuth & Schmiesing, gave a brief overview of the 2004-2005 audit.
(Item VIII, Subd. C) Each board member gave a brief update on committees.
Weber motioned to approve the 04-05 audit at the December 6th work session; Hammer seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. D) Superintendent Ladd reported:
• Review the next meeting dates
• Medford School tour went well
• The two informational meetings so far have been sparsely attended.
(Item IX) Next meeting dates
• Community Informational Meetings- November 22 @ 6:30 pm Winsted Elem Gym
• December 1 K-3 Musical at Waverly 7 pm
• December 2 GBB 6pm
• December 3 Winsted Holiday parade
• Next Work Session Tuesday December 6, 2005 7 pm HS Media Center
• December 6 K-1 concert at Winsted 7 pm
• December 8 Band /Choir concert at HL 7 pm
• December 12 MS/HS conferences 6:30-8 pm
Please call Marilyn or e-mail the dates that you are planning to attend
(Item X) Items for work session:
• Approval of 04-05 audit
• Review cuts from last year
• Estimated fuel and special ed costs from last year
• Cost of the operating levy
Borrell motioned to adjourn at 9:13 p.m.; Hammer seconded; passed unanimously.
Allen Doering, Clerk