REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
Monday, September 15, 2008
HLWW Board Room
The September 15, 2008 Regular School Board meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 7:01pm by Chairman Schaible. After the pledge of allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Doering, Custer, Weber, Heuer, and Schaible; Weibel arrived at 7:05pm; absent: Wiech. Also present were Superintendent George Ladd, Principals Mike Day, Brad Sellner, and Jennifer Olson; and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
Schaible reported the following agenda changes: to the consent agenda-retirement of Leonard Rozeske, hiring of Timothy Edmonson and Suzanne Brasil-Gryshick; remove policy 709 from item F. Doering motioned to approve the agenda with the changes; Custer seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V) There were no questions or comments from visitors.
(Item VI) Doering read the following recognitions:
The School Board recognizes Joe Kitts and the middle school custodial staff on their hard work this summer to get the middle school ready to go. There were many different events going on over the summer time in the building, and they made it through them all and we were ready to start the year with a polished building. Thank you Joe and the crew!
The School Board recognizes the HLWW FFA Chapter that was selected as a three-star winner in the National FFA Chapter Award program out of 600 chapters nationwide. They will receive this award at the 81st National FFA Convention in Indianapolis in October. Congratulations to everyone!
Weber also recognized Leonard Rozeske for his many years of driving for the district.
Custer motioned to approve the recognitions with the addition; Doering seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII) Schaible reminded the members of the additional retirement of Leonard Rozeske, and the hiring of Timothy Edmonson and Suzanne Brasil-Gryshick. Weber motioned to approve the consent agenda with the additions; Custer seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. A) Principal/Curriculum Director Sellner gave a presentation of the Systems Accountability Report. Schaible also asked if there are no objections, since Gene Hausladen is here and asked to speak about no child left behind, that he be allowed to speak or ask questions as needed, there were no objections.
Heuer motioned to approve the Systems Accountability Report upon the review and approval of the DCAC/MEEP committees; Weber seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. B) Gene Hausladen asked the board how they felt about “No Child Left Behind.” The board discussed, and each member, and Superintendent Ladd gave their opinion. There were also two community members present who also responded to the question.
(Item VIII, Subd. C) Bill Colopoulos from SMS, gave an update on Employee Insurance.
(Item VIII, Subd. D) Doering reviewed the fund six expenses.
Doering motioned to approve the fund six expenses; Weibel seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. E) The policy committee recommends reviewing the district educational goals for 2008-2009 school year. Ladd reported this has come through the DCAC/MEEP Committees. Custer said this is a review this month; and next month to approve the goals.
(Item VIII, Subd. F) The policy committee recommends reviewing the district education goals, and the first reading of policies 613-Graduation Requirements; 614-School District Testing Plan & Procedure; 615-Basic Standards Testing, Accommodations, Modifications, and Exemptions for IEP, Section 504 Accommodation, and LEP Students; and 706-Acceptance of Gifts.
(Item VIII, Subd. G) Bill Holmgren reviewed the treasurer’s report, via video web cam.
Heuer motioned to approve the treasurer’s report; Doering seconded; passed unanimously
(Item VIII, Subd. H) Bill Holmgren reviewed the proposed 2008 payable 2009 property levy information. Holmgren recommended certifying the maximum.
Weber motioned to approve the proposed 2008 payable 2009 property levy at the maximum; Weibel seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item IX, Subd. A) Principal Sellner reported:
* The AVID zero hour is going well
* Advisory theme this month is “Getting to know”
* We are working on connecting the PA Systems in the building
* Mid quarters are October 1st, and parent teacher conferences October 6th
Weibel asked how the 5th grade was doing. Sellner reported that is was going very well.
Principal Day reported:
* Football games are going well; Dale and Romy Decker have done a great job!
* The start up of the school year have gone very well
* Activity participation is up, this is a good sign
* The Honors breakfast are next week the 23rd and 24th
Principal Olson reported:
* It was a great start to the school year for both elementary buildings, enrollment is the same at each building; and we are full at Winsted
* We have had our 1st fire drill; and bus evacuations will be next week
* the morning kindergarten classes will attend school on the late start dates
* Parent teacher conferences will be October 9th and 14th; they will focus on goal setting
(Item IX, Subd. B) Each Board member gave committee updates.
Custer reported Community Ed met August 21st; they had a tour of the new location; and the fall brochure is out.
Heuer reported Laker Pride met September 8th and they are pursuing a cooperative effort with PIE in the elementary buildings; they are also looking into t-shirts for homecoming
Heuer reported DCAC will meet at the end of the month
Heuer reported negotiations met twice with the bus drivers and the next meeting is set for September 22nd; we also met tonight with the principals.
Heuer also reminded the board the community meeting is tomorrow at 7pm at the high school.
Weibel reported buildings and grounds has not met; DCAC will meet at end of week; and Ladd and Weibel attended a legislative meeting on Friday. Weibel reported the meeting was very interesting.
(Item IX, Subd. C) Superintendent Ladd reported:
· Note the next meeting dates at the end of the appendix
· Community Meeting regarding the middle school building project is tomorrow night at 7pm in the high school commons
· September 20th is a Golf fundraiser for HLWW Programs
· We are looking into running an archery class, the new middle school phy ed teacher is certified to teach
· Enrollment is up 10 students
Heuer also reported the committee is looking in to putting together a brochure for the upcoming referendum.
Schaible said he encourages everyone to attend tomorrow night’s informational meeting.
Ladd reported as part of the budget incentive, we have four teachers who have submitted paperwork to retire this year, so there is one slot left.
(Item X) Next Meeting Dates:
* Work Session Meeting Schaible asked to leave this date open until after tomorrow night’s meeting
* Regular Board Meeting Monday October 20, 2008 7pm HLWW Board Room
(Item XI) Items for Work session
· Possible brochure information
Items for regular board meeting
· First reading of policies
· Second reading of policies
· Employment Recommendation
· Property and Liability Insurance
· Assurance of Compliance with State/Federal Law Prohibiting Discrimination
· Seniority list
· Lane Changes
· Winter Coaching Staff
· Employee Insurance Update
· Approval of District Educational Goals
Doering motioned to adjourn at 9:07 pm; Weibel seconded; passed unanimously.
Charles Weber, clerk