REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
Monday, December 1, 2008
HLWW Board Room
The December 1, 2008 Regular School Board meeting of the Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD#2687 was called to order at 7:02 pm. by Chairman Schaible. After the pledge of allegiance, roll was taken with the following members present: Wiech, Doering, Custer, Heuer, Weibel, Weber, and Schaible. Also present were Superintendent George Ladd, Principals Brad Sellner, and Jennifer Olson; Financial Consultant Bill Holmgren, and Board Secretary Marilyn Greeley.
(Item IV) Schaible added one more resignation from Janice Schoenfeld to be added to the consent agenda. Weber motioned to approve the agenda; Wiech seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item V) There were no questions or comments from visitors. Schaible introduced newly elected board member Jesse Tintes.
(Item VI) Principal Sellner read the following recognitions:
The School Board recognizes the following students who were chosen as November students of the month by the teacher and staff of HLWW Middle School: Arie Khounpanya, Bailey Krumwiede, Ryan Gailey, Felicia Votava, Emily Mages, Jack Schaal, Amanda Wareing, Josie Bakeberg, Brianna Mauk, Devon Houston, Becca Welman, Blake Karels, Cozette Eastman, and Lindsay Marketon. The theme was “Organization.” As Students of the Month they were invited to have breakfast with the principal, Mr. Sellner. They also received a certificate and have their pictures displayed on the Middle School bulletin board. Congratulations to everyone!
The School Board recognizes the cast, crew, and directors of “Bye Bye Birdie”. Congratulations to you on another successful show.
The School Board recognizes the Varsity Volleyball team on being named an All State Academic Silver Team with a combined team GPA of 3.75! Congratulations!
The School Board recognizes the following volunteers who helped with the middle school’s amazing race: Marlin Schroeder, Christina Mauk, Kristina Kittock, Heather Fretheim, Sue Jagodzinski, Danny Salo, Heather Ketcher, Barb Steffer, Tom and Susie Halverson, Dave Bakeberg, and Laura Karels. Thank you for volunteering your time.
Custer read recognition from the Drummer about retired principal Dean Wessman.
Wiech presented Lori Custer with a recognition gift from the board for her years of service on the board of education.
Heuer motioned to approve the recognitions with the additions; Wiech seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VII) Custer motioned to approve the consent agenda which consisted of the November 17, 2008 Regular Board Meeting Minutes, December bills, resignation of Superintendent George Ladd, employment of Craig Probst, and communications of the Delegate Assembly,
Elementary Laker News, and Resource Training and Solutions Communicator, and with the additional resignation of Janice Schoenfeld; Weibel seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. A) Special Education Coordinator Karrie Ingebretson introduced the Special Education staff: Michelle Olson, Mary MacLeod, Angie Granrud, and Andria Travis. They gave a presentation about the new reading curriculum that was recently purchased.
(Item VIII, Subd. B) Wiech reviewed the fund six expenditures.
Wiech motioned to approve the fund six expenditures; Doering seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. C) Custer motioned to approve the non aligned employee contracts; Wiech seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. D) Doering reported there was an error regarding clarification of the activity shuttle as it did not state hourly.
Weber motioned to approve the bus driver contract with the insertion of the clarification of the activity shuttle hourly rate; Weibel seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. E) Holmgren reviewed the 2008 payable 2009 levy limitation and certification. Holmgren reported the district does not need a hearing this year as our levy has decreased; it is down about $153,000 about a 20% decrease.
Weibel motioned to approve the 2008 payable 2009 levy limitation and certification; Wiech seconded; passed unanimously.
(Item VIII, Subd. F) Holmgren reviewed the treasurer’s report. Some items that were not budgeted were staff lane changes; payout of vacation for the payroll position that was contracted; and partial payment from MAWSECO for a staff person.
Wiech motioned to approve the treasurer’s report; Doering seconded; passed unanimously.
Holmgren reviewed preliminary information using the Sheehan model.
(Item IX, Subd. A) Schaible reviewed Principal Day’s High School report.
* The FFA Ag fair on Tuesday November 18th went great. There were many exhibiters, and the students enjoyed looking at their displays.
* The play “Bye Bye Birdie” was wonderful. Thank you to Belinda Larsen-Director, Ms. Starr for music, Vivian Mahlsted and the cast and crew. Great Job everyone.
* Winter sports have started
Principal Sellner reported:
* The district has received approval from the DNR to start an Archery program for grades 4-12
* All are invited to the upcoming holiday concerts this Thursday for grades 7-8; grade 6 on December 16th ; and the 5th graders will be a part of the spring concerts
Principal Olson reported:
* The music program for K-2 will be next week; “Forty Winks”.
* Humphrey Elementary will be attending Murphy Landing on Friday
(Item IX, Subd. B) Each Board member gave committee updates.
Heuer reported Laker Pride has a new order form on the web site for Laker apparel.
Sellner reported DCAC reviewed staff development goals from MEEP; and the AYP plan was submitted in November. There has been a lot of discussion on the math adoption and if the 8th grade should take algebra; the federal government is asking for this; and the State of Minnesota said in 2010-2011 the 8th grade should be in algebra.
Schaible reported Wright Tech Center has a meeting Wednesday afternoon
No other committee reports.
(Item IX, Subd. C) Superintendent Ladd reported:
* Please review the SEE Legislative Platform
* MSBA Leadership Conference January 15-16
* We have received a grant from the State High School League for student fees for those who can’t afford it.
* We have been encouraged to put two drafts of the calendar together; start dates of September 1st and 8th; adopt them both as schools will be asking the legislature to allow an earlier start date because of Labor Day being so late.
* We may be asking for a para position at the high school, as we have a very needy student starting
(Item X) Next Meeting Dates:
* Work Session Meeting TBD
* Organizational/Regular Board Meeting Tuesday January 20, 2008 7pm HLWW Board Room
(Item XI) Items for Work session-not needed at this time.
Items for organizational/regular board meeting
* Oath of office for school board
* Re-organizational meeting
* Review and adjust annual budget
* Resolution directing superintendent to make recommendations for adjustments in curriculum, programs, and staff for the following school year
* Employment Recommendation
* Lawn mow bids
Custer motioned to adjourn at 8:10 pm; Weber seconded; passed unanimously.
Charles Weber, clerk