HLWW School District 2687 Board Minutes
REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD
8:00 P.M. - MONDAY
NOVEMBER 16, 1998
HLWW HIGH SCHOOL
The Regular November 16, 1998, School Board Meeting of Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted ISD #2687 was called to order at 8:00 p.m., by Chairperson James Raymond. Following the Pledge of Allegiance, roll call was taken with the following members present: James Fowler, Randy Heuer, Gene Lorentz, Mary Pettit, James Raymond, Michael Steckelberg, Charles Weber, Carol Fury, Leo Weber, Ken Zimmerman. Members absent: Richard Lammers. Also present were: Superintendent Hoheisel; and Principals Wessman, Millerbernd and Day.
Zimmerman made a motion to approve the agenda; second by Lorentz; passed unanimously.
Lorentz made a motion to approve the November bills; second by Fury; passed unanimously.
L. Weber made a motion to approve the Treasurer's Report; second by Zimmerman; passed unanimously.
Enrollment and improvement reports were reviewed.
Superintendent Hoheisel presented the annual Census Report for the District. Lorentz made a motion to accept the report; second by L. Weber; motion passed unanimously.
High School Principal Day reported the following:
- HL-W-W High School is very appreciative of the prizes donated by the Lions Organizations of Howard Lake and of Waverly, along with the Legion Post #145, for the Star Student program.
- High school juniors have taken the PSAT test.
- The ASVAB test is being offered free of charge to students.
- 8th graders will take the basic skills test in Feb. Tutoring programs will be available between now and the test date.
- Students residing at Charter Behavior in Waverly are using HL-W-W computer facilities as well as being tutored at the HL-W-W High School.
- Nov. 6th is the end of the first quarter and Parent/Teacher Conferences were Thurs.,Nov. 12, and again today, Mon., Nov. 16, from 4:00-8:00 p.m.
- Students and staff participated in a Veteran's Day Celebration on Nov. 11. The Winsted Legion Post donated a flag to the school that was flown over the State Capitol. Cheerleaders presented flowers to veterans residing in local nursing homes.
- Winter concert dates are Dec. 10th, Jr. High and Dec. 17, Sr. High. Start time- 7:30 p.m.
- On Dec. 7, the public is invited to hear speaker, Corwin Kronenberg, in the HL-W-W auditorium.
- A report relative to summer school basic skills was presented to the Board.
Elementary Principal Millerbernd reported the following:
- Mr. Kronenberg is sponsored through the District's Title 1 grant.
- This week is American Education Week and Chemical Health Week. Plans are in place to recognize both. Parents and grandparents are invited to join students for lunch.
- The Winsted Elementary holiday program will be at 7:00 p.m., on Dec. 8.
- A student teacher from Crown College will be in Jill Schlueter's classroom.
- The accelerated reader program is being implemented in both elementary schools.
- Elementary teachers are working on graduation standards profiles and packages.
Humphrey Elementary Principal Wessman reported the following:
- The Skip Humphrey campaign visited Humphrey Elem. and donated 200 books to the library.
- Teachers continue to work on grad standards.
- Angie Granrud (paraprofessional) is working with 10 students to improve academic skills.
- Donuts for Dads and Muffins for Moms is scheduled for Nov. 19.
Curriculum Report by Mr. Wessman:
- A grant for Goals 2000 is being written.
- Calculus class will be added next year.
- Local Pre Panel training relative to graduation standards will be held at Dassel-Cokato.
- Teachers will receive training for making performance packages.
- DCAC members have staffed a booth at the Parent/Teacher Conferences in order to help parents better understand grad. standards.
The Waverly Community Wave Committee has requested a School Board Member attend an informational meeting on December 10. Jim Raymond will attend to represent the School Board.
There were no requests from the public.
Financial auditor, Mike Burkhardt, presented the Financial Audit Report for the 1997-98 School Year. The Board will review the audit and take action at the December Board Meeting.
Mr. Hoheisel gave a Buildings and Grounds Committee update and indicated that most summer capital improvement projects have been completed.
The Board heard a Long Range Facility Plan update and a report from the Task Force. Task Force representatives and administrators will meet with City Administrators from Howard Lake and Winsted, on Nov. 18, and with representatives from the Lester Prairie School District, on Nov. 19.
The Board heard the first reading of a policy on Developmental Delay for Early Childhood.
Pettit made a motion to approve Harriet Confeld as the new School Age Child Care Coordinator; second by Fowler; passed unanimously.
The Support Staff Manual has been updated and changes were submitted for the Board's review. Board action will be taken during the next Regular School Board Meeting in December.
- The bus drivers will be meeting to ratify their contract which will be submitted for Board approval at the next Regular School Board Meeting.
- Lorentz made a motion to approve the Superintendent's Contract (1998-2001); second by Heuer; passed unanimously.
Lorentz made a motion to approve the Winter Coaching Staff; second by L. Weber; passed unanimously.
Lorentz made a motion to recognize Jim and Mary Raymond for their generous donation of twenty maple trees for the athletic complex at the Humphrey Elementary School; second by L. Weber; passed unanimously.
Thank you letters were read that had been received from St. Mary's Care Center in Winsted and the Care Center in Howard Lake. Both Centers thanked the school for allowing students to bring in flowers in honor of Veteran's Day.
- The Next Regular School Board Meeting will be held Monday, December 21, 1998, at 8:00 p.m. in the HL-W-W High School Media Center.
- A Special School Board Meeting will be held Monday, December 7, 1998, at 7:30 p.m., in the HL-W-W High School Media Center for the Truth In Taxation Hearing.
- Mr. Hoheisel updated the Board regarding ITV connectivity, TIES Annual Meeting, and the SEE Meeting.
- The group home, located south of Waverly, will reopen Nov. 12, 1999.
- Rob Cavanna, Director of CMSC, will attend the Mar.15 Regular School Board Meeting
- The annual Employee Recognition Dinner will be held April 15, 1999.
- Reported on the school census.
- Reviewed student teachers that are or will be completing their student teaching assignments in our District.
- Ken Zimmerman gave a Booster Club update.
- Steckelberg updated the Board regarding Labor Management and DCAC.
The meeting adjourned on a motion by Steckelberg; seconded by Lorentz; passed unanimously.
Michael Steckelberg, Clerk
Stories | Columns | Classifieds | Obituaries
Community Guides | Special Topics | Cool Stuff | SEARCH | Home Page