Lester Prairie School Board Minutes
|REGULAR MEETING of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION
Lester Prairie Public Schools
Monday, June 20th, 2016 5:30pm
Lester Prairie School Media Center
Roll call was taken and the following board members were present: Karla Heigl, Mary Otto, Corbey Hentges and MerriLea Kyllo. Rawelin Radtke and Steve Ziermann were absent at the start of meeting. Administration present: Jeremy Schmidt and Nathaniel Boyer. Other staff: Alice Daak
Guests: Caleb Sebora of the Herald Journal.
Pledge of Allegiance was led by Corbey Hentges.
• Motion by Otto, seconded by Hentges to approve the Consent Agenda as modified & to approve the minutes of regular meeting 05/16/16 & approval to pay bills in the amount of $96,504.03 & student activity fees of $718.04 were also included. Vote: 4 for, 0 against.
Recognition of Communications since Last Meeting:
A. Graduation Ceremony
B. Received letter from Mr. Bjork Students conduct well received at state Trapshoot meet.
C. Open dialogue none
Mr. Boyer K-12 Report: - highlights
• Student attendance report shows tardiness way down
• Promotional items ordered for Prairie Days
• Total of 684 weekly PBIS winners drawn this year. 432 Elementary and 252 in the high school.
• Total of 266 Bulldog Barks this school year 180 in the elementary and 86 in the high school.
Mr. Schmidt Report: highlights
• Northwest Summer Conf. held at Mpls. Marriott Aug. 8th.
• Attended Legislative Update in Marshall on June 7th
• Received a great review from MDE on Special Ed
o No corrective action items
• Prairie Day plans are set
o Staff in parade
Board member Ziermann arrives
School Board Reports
A. Spec. Ed None
B. Community Ed. None
C. LPPEA Meet in September
a. Concession stand and ADA bathroom upgrades to meet DOH
E. Tech/Media none
F. Activities Committee
a. Football District realignment- placed in a different district
b. Declamation Speech added Jen Smith coach
c. Boys Basketball Ben Machemehl resigned, Nat Boyer offered position
d. Track 3 athletes advanced to the section meet.
e. Spring play working on musical
a. Certified None
b. Non-Certified Met on 6/15
c. Administration None
H. Meet & Confer none
I. Policy Met 6/9
J. Legislative - none
• District student count as of 5/11/2016 for K-12 is 406.
• Motion by Ziermann 2nd by Heigl to approve the policies 101,101.1,102,103,104,208,214,401,402,406,410,412,413,415, 417,418,501,502,506,514,515,516,522,524,526,533,601,610,616, 704,709,709.1,806,903. Vote: 5 for, 0 against
• Motion by Ziermann 2nd by Otto to approve policy 721 Uniform Grant Guidance Policy regarding Federal Revenue Sources. Vote: 5 for, 0 against
• Motion by Hentges 2nd by Ziermann to approve the Elementary and High School Student Handbooks Vote: 5 for, 0 against
Board member Radtke arrives
• Motion by Hentges 2nd by Otto to approve the resignation of Ben Machemehl as Boys Varsity Basketball Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Kyllo and 2nd by Hentges to approve the contracts for:
• Bodil Empting, Special Education Teacher
• Stephanie Lohse, Kids Depot Student Worker
• Nathaniel Boyer, Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Heigl stated that she received information that Mr. Boyer had been approached by other school districts for employment opportunities. She contacted Mr. Schmidt to see how Mr. Boyer liked working at Lester Prairie. Mr. Schmidt reported that he likes being at Lester Prairie. The board decided to take measures to keep him. New contract offered $90,000 for the next 3yrs plus increase in insurance and 401k.
• Motion made by Hentges and 2nd by Otto to approve the new 3yr contract for Nathaniel Boyer Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Kyllo 2nd by Otto to approve the preliminary budget for year 2017. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Kyllo and 2nd by Radtke to approve June 30th check run Vote: 6 for, 0 against
• Motion made by Heigl and 2nd by Hentges to approve bids for milk bread and propane. Vote: 6 for, 0 again
o Received 2 bids for Garbage Heigl suggested going with lower bid. Radtke and Ziermann suggested Waste Management who is supportive of school and to have Mr. Schmidt contact them to negotiate contract. Tabled until July meeting.
Heigl read notice of filing
• Motion made by Hentges and 2nd by Ziermann to approve new filing dates for election of School Board. Vote: 6 for, 0 against
Meeting was adjourned at 6:50 PM.
Steven D. Ziermann, Clerk ISD #424
Published in the Herald Journal July 25, 2016.
Special Meeting of the SCHOOL BOARD of EDUCATION