var sid = 454; var aid = 3;
Wright County Board Minutes
DECEMBER 31, 2002
The Wright County Board met in regular session at 9:00 A.M. with Mattson, Eichelberg, Sawatzke, Jude, and Russek present.
On Page 1 of the 12-24-02 minutes, Jude referenced acceptance of the Dassel Cokato Enterprise Dispatch as the alternate Official County Newspaper for 2003. He stated that several years ago a bid from a newspaper from outside of Wright County was unable to be accepted and had requested the Attorney's Office clarify the legality of the bid from the Enterprise Dispatch. According to the Attorney's Office the Dassel Cokato Enterprise Dispatch does meet the required criteria. Jude moved to approve the minutes of 12-24-02, seconded by Eichelberg, carried 5-0.
Doug Gruber, Auditor/Treasurer, requested Item #2 "On Sale Liquor License - Business Name Change, Formerly, "Harley's Pub & Eatery" (Rockford Twp.)" under the Auditor/Treasurer be pulled from the Agenda. On a motion by Eichelberg, second by Mattson, all voted to approve the remainder of the Agenda.
On a motion by Eichelberg, second by Mattson, all voted to approve the Consent Agenda.
1. Performance Appraisals: K. Horsch, D. Reddemann, Aud./Treas.; C. Strand, Sher.
2. Claim, MCIT, $3,748.00, 2001 Workers' Comp Payroll Audit.
3. Schedule 2002 Employee Recognition Ceremony 2/11/03, 10:00 A.M.
1. Authorize County Board Signature For Release Of Federal Funds For Repair Of Joint Co. Ditch #15.
2. 2003 Tobacco License Renewals: Don's Auto Service & Repair, Inc.; Albertville Off Sale LLC; Heidi's Market; Hack's Liquor; Casey's General Store #2412; Pat's 66 (Albertville City); Lantto's Store (French Lake Twp.); Clearwater American Legion Post #323 (Clearwater City); Casey's General Store #3647 (Cokato City); Lake Center Store (Corinna Twp.); Tom Thumb #564 (Delano City); H&H Sports Shop; Cenex Lake Region Coop.; Elletson Bowl & Recreation Center Inc.; American Legion Club Post #131 (Maple Lake City); Ken's Service; Monty Tobacco; Broadway Kwik Stop LLC; VFW Post #8731; O'Ryan's Conoco; Kmart; Maus Foods; River City Lanes (Monticello City); Squire Inn; Casey's General Store #1881 (Montrose City); F&F Foods (Otsego City); Casey's General Store #2156 (Rockford City); Petrol Pumper #66 (Silver Creek Twp.); Jubilee Foods; A&M Liquor; Millside Tavern (St. Michael City); Mark's Service Inc. (Waverly City).
1. Authorize Signature On Agreement With Superior Billing, Inc. And Financial Consultants Company, Inc., For Billing And Collection Of Jail Pay-For-Stay Fees.
2. Authorize Signatures On Three Additional DNR State Grants For Snowmobile Enforcement For The Cities Of Monticello, Otsego & St. Michael.
3. Acknowledge Hire, Cole Petroske, Corrections Officer, Eff. 1-6-03, ( Step 1).
Board Chair, Jack Russek, presented a retirement plaque to Ken Jude for ten years of service as County Commissioner from 1992 - 2002. He was also presented with a $10 gift certificate to Target and a ten year service pin. Russek offered congratulations and thanked Jude for his years of service to Wright County. Jude stated they were good years, that he had no regrets, felt people knew where he stood and was proud to be his own person. He felt Wright County has a good staff and excellent department heads. On behalf of the County Management Team of Commissioners and Department Heads, Don Mleziva also thanked Jude for his years of service. Wayne Fingalson specifically mentioned Jude's efforts as Chair of the Hwy 55 Coalition and that of the ten coalitions throughout the State, the Hwy 55 Coalition has made the greatest strides. Sheriff Miller, Elmer Eichelberg, and Tom Kelly also spoke offering congratulations and appreciation for his contributions and service.
Eichelberg moved to approve the November Revenue/Expense Reports, seconded by Mattson, carried 5-0.
Jude moved to approve the claims as listed in the abstract, subject to audit. The motion was seconded by Mattson and carried 5-0.
Wayne Fingalson, Highway Engineer, requested a Transportation Committee of the Whole Meeting be scheduled to: 1) review and recommend projects for submittal to ATP for FY 2006, and 2) discuss turnback of a portion of CR 117 to the City of Monticello. Sawatzke requested that discussion on Wright County Adopt a Road Project be added as a third agenda item. Sawatzke moved to set a Transportation Committee of the Whole Meeting on January 10, 2003 at 9:00 A.M. with the addition of the third agenda item, seconded by Mattson, carried 5-0.
Fingalson requested authorization of $1,000 for Wright County dues payment for the 2003 Highway 55 Corridor Coalition. He stated Article 12.5 of the Hwy 55 Corridor Coalition Joint Powers Agreement calls for the Board to formally approve the County's financial contribution for the coming year by December 23rd of each year. In 2001 Wright and Hennepin Counties entered into a formal agreement with the Minnesota Transportation Alliance with each county providing "seed money" of $10,000 each. Fingalson clarified the $1,000 was included in the Highway Department budget. Jude moved to authorize the $1,000 dues payment, seconded by Eichelberg. Sawatzke stated it was his recollection that cities and townships along the corridor would be reimbursing the County and questioned how much had been paid back. Fingalson, Jude and Russek stated the $10,000 was seed money to get the Coalition going with the hope that future membership of cities, townships, businesses, etc. would contribute a sufficient amount to keep the Coalition moving without continued funding from the County. Fingalson stated that in 2002 the County did not pay anything, and feels the Hwy 55 Coalition stands a good chance of receiving 1.5 million in funding. Mattson stated the County Board Minutes of 2001 could be reviewed for clarification. Motion carried 5-0.
Norman presented the OSHA Inspection, Results, Citations, and Penalties report for review and discussion. He stated he felt the findings were minimal considering the size of the County and the number of buildings. He referred questions to Pat Melvin, Special Projects Administrator, who had accompanied the OSHA inspector on his inspections. Melvin distributed a listing of six citations with total fines of $4,800.00 and an expedited informal settlement amount of $3,360.00. Discussion centered primarily on a fine of $1,200 for an alley way not cleared of snow and ice and a fine of $1,200 for sidewalks not cleared of snow and ice in the location of the Sheriff's Department. Torfin stated the Sheriff's Department/Jail is a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation. It was clarified that there is no provision for snow removal when the custodial staff is off over the weekend. It was mentioned that many city ordinances require snow removal from sidewalks within 24 hours of snow accumulation, and that in the meantime sidewalks may be snow covered. There was general consensus to contest the citation for snow removal in the alley as that is City property and to accept the remaining five citations and fines. Jude moved to accept the five citations and directed Administration to contest the citation for the alley way snow removal in the amount of $1,200, seconded by Mattson, carried 5-0.
Russek thanked the County Board for the opportunity to serve as Board Chair for 2002.
American Business Forms 223.96
Assn. of Minnesota Counties 700.00
Barthel, James 113.76
Bauman, Lawrence 288.42
Beaudry Propane, Inc. 1198.50
Central MN Mental Health Cntr 587.50
Douglas, Ralph 292.50
Hickman Service, Inc. 138.45
Int'l Conference of Bldg. Offcl 195.00
Jerry's Towing & Repair 101.18
Karels Towing 104.88
LaPlant Demo, Inc. 530.20
Marco Business Products 560.66
MN Assn. for Court Management 250.00
MN Department of Corrections 15,650.00
Star Tribune 492.60
Wal-Mart Store 01-1577 618.60
14 payments less than $100 650.29
Final Total $22,696.50
The meeting was adjourned at 9:41 A.M.