Obituaries: Obituary Archives Funeral Notices: KRWC | KDUZ

Laurence E. Ray, 77

Laurence Edward Ray, age 77, of Cokato, formerly of Faribault, died Sunday, March 1, 2009, at the North Memorial Hospital in Robbinsdale.

He was born March 9, 1931, in Minneapolis, the son of Emil and Esther (Lund) Ray, one of 11 brothers and sisters. Larry was very proud of his Norwegian and Danish heritage.

He was also proud to be a Marine and to have served in the Korean War.

Larry earned his bachelor’s degree at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, and often talked of his college experience. After college, he was a carpenter for many years.

Larry went on to get his teaching degree at Winona University. He taught for 30 years at the Minnesota Academy for the Deaf and the Minnesota Academy for the Blind in Faribault. He loved to teach, and talked about the privilege he had to work with these children.

Larry married Beverly Gross June 10, 1962, at the Calvary Lutheran Church in Minneapolis. They made their home in Minneapolis, Halfmoon Bay, CA; and Faribault, MN. Most recently, Larry moved to Cokato.

Larry retired from teaching in 1997, and in his retirement enjoyed helping with Habitat for Humanity, the Gideon’s, prison ministries, and other various church activities. He also enjoyed working with wood, and taking long walks.

Larry is survived by his daughter, Becky (Paul) Holm of Dassel; two grandchildren, Anna and Andrew Holm; siblings, Dorathy Satter of California, Margaret Hager of Arizona, Lucille Mund, Clifford Ray, James Ray, all of California, Ruth Fredrickson of Minneapolis, Paul Ray of California, and David Ray of Minneapolis; along with several nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Beverly; his parents; and two brothers, Roy and Ronnie Ray.

The funeral service was Thursday, March 5 at 10 a.m. at the Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Dassel with the Revs. Steven Olson and John Peterson officiating. Interment was at Fort Snelling National Cemetery in Minneapolis.

Visitation took place Wednesday, March 4 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Johnson Funeral Home in Dassel, and continued Thursday for one hour prior to the service at the church.

Arrangements were by the Johnson Funeral Home in Dassel.