By Chris Schultz Winsted-Lester Prairie Journal & Howard Lake-Waverly Herald, Minn. June 5, 2000
Better weather would make for better fishing
"Another week of bad weather and another week of bad fishing," stated Dave Groff of Lil' Angie's Bait and Tackle.
Although the fishing on our area lakes and rivers has not been that bad, some good weather, instead of rain and wind, would improve fishing and get more anglers out on the water.
Dave also reported: The sunfish action on Eagle Lake has picked up with anglers getting fish in shallow water on the inside weed edge. Minnetonka has been producing sunnies. The northern action on Winsted has been good. The crappie action on Lake Mary had picked up again and the walleye bite on Collinwood has slowed.
Joe's Sport Shop in Howard Lake reported: Howard Lake had been providing decent action on northern pike and largemouth bass. Anglers on Washington are nabbing small walleyes at a good clip and the sunfish action on our local lakes is starting to pick up with the spawn underway.
Joe's also noted poor weather for fishing as hampered angler activity and some good weather would be a big boost to local fishing.
Other reports from the area have the Crow River providing some northern and catfish action. Fishing on the Crow has been slowed a bit by recent rains and a rise in the water level. The river has went up about a foot in last week. When it settles down a bit and the current slows the fishing will get better.
On final note, a few reports from the area included information of a fishkill on Swan Lake near the city of Silver Lake.
At this time I have not confirmed this information and if anyone has questions regarding a fishkill on Swan, I would advise them to call the DNR Fisheries Office in Hutchinson at 320-587-2717.
Take a Kid Fishing
The Winsted Sportsmen's Club will host its annual take a kid fishing event on Sunday, June 11 on Lake Mary.
Registration is from 1 to 2 p.m., with fishing from 2 to 4. Lunch and prizes will follow.
The club is asking all those interested to register by Monday, June 5. If participants do not register in advance, the club may not have enough boats or equipment to accommodate everyone.
To register, call Tom Kieser at 952-955-1704.
- Take a kid fishing weekend sponsored by the DNR is set for Saturday and Sunday, June 10 and 11. Adults accompanying children under age 16 on that weekend are not required to have a fishing license.
- The Winsted Sportsmen's Club will meet Tuesday, June 6 at 7 p.m. at the Lake Mary clubhouse. Details of the club's take a kid fishing event will be on the agenda.
- Remember to have your dog checked for heartworm and put on a heartworm preventative medication.
- The sunfish are spawning on our area lakes. Cruise the shallows in search of spawning beds and good luck fishing.
- Take a kid fishing - you will have fun and so will he or she.